completely new to fly fishing

I have given, and have been given flies on spring creek. It's usually a pretty laid back place to fish, despite the occasional "crowding". Even on the super crowded streams like the tully or other SEPA streams, I have found most other fishermen to be cool.

Sorry I haven't posted in quite a while yall........been fishing my little area here in new cumberland (i'm transportation impaired right now LOL) with some modest results. All the tips i've gotten here off the site have really helped me step up my game. I probably would have give up if it wasn't for all yall helping me catch a couple of fish.........Many thanks once again

read, alot!! find any and all books on beginning fly fishing, don't worry about any specialized techniques yet, they will come naturally as you progress. pick up a copy of "the curtis creek manifesto" great little book, good tips, fun to read, like a comic book only it really has good tips and hints, amazon probably carries it. don't get caught up in buying the latest and greatest gear, any decent quality rod and reel will do the job, better to spend the money on a quality line, which will last years if properly cared for. fly fishing marketers love to prey on new comers, don't fall for it. first and foremost, have fun, that's the bottom line. sometimes we catch fish, sometimes we don't, but it's stll fun, much better than being at work! oh yea, go to a local blue gill pond, easy to catch, good practice in setting the hook, landing the fish, etc. tons of fun also!!

Hi enfausn

You got some great advice, my advice to you is get your casting down do alot of practicing so you able to get your fly to turn over and to put your fly where you want it. Then follow up on all the other advice that was given you. Get some lessons is always a good idea.

I live in your area and would be willing to help you out, give me a PM and we'll see if we can hookup!

PaulG

THE DROUGHT IS OVER!!!!! LOL! Paulg took me fishing up at the special regs section on the breeches and i caught my first trout! A fat brown of about a foot maybe a little less. Man that was fun. So fun I forgot to take a picture of it even with my camera in my pocket........LOL. Saw a lot of trout and missed out on at least 5 or 6 more and lost a couple. Great day!!!! Even learned how to cast much much better!!!! Thanks bud!!

Will

One of the things I enjoy about this sport is helping people just getting started. your casting got a little better as the day went on, like we talked about you have to get out in the back yard and on the stream practice. I was so glad when he landed his first trout ever, I don't know who was more excited him or me, we were both pretty dam happy. he had plenty of action, landed one had another 3 on that got off and missed some.

Next week when I pick you up I'll bring those videos with me, will see if we can do a little better next week!

I enjoyed the day!

PaulG

Back