completely new to fly fishing

enfausn

enfausn

Hey all, I'm completely new to fly fishing and just got out on the yellow breeches in new cumberland for the first time yesterday. I grew up bass fishing in the susqehanna and pinchot but fly fishing for trout is completely new to me. I've managed to cast well enough to get the fly out there but haven't accomplished much more then that I'm afraid.....LOL. If anyone has some pointers they'd be willing to share I'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

read -every book you can find on the subject including some with heart-like Bergmans Trout
Decide now if you want the fun of reading and self teaching or skip a few years and hire a guide a time or two.Remember that amateurs teach amateurs to be amateurs-you can learn a lot from fellow fisherman-especially here but- don't get locked into everything you see here or on the stream.
If you are lucky to hook up with a buddy thats pretty advanced treasure him and a few drinks never hurt
just my feeling-others will differ-part of the fun.

I would also recommend looking on you tube for instructional videos about casting, how to rig, knots etc, you can go at your own pace and its cheaper than a book. After that and just be on the water, there is no right or wrong way, just the basics will catch you fish. I would start with streamers, i.e. woolly bugger, strip, dead-drift, let them hang in current seams etc. This way you become acquainted with how the line interacts with the water and how the feel of a fish on your rod will feel, honestly it is the fastest way to get to know water and your rod.

In addition to what has been said, there are bound to be a few Trout Unlimited and/or FFF chapters within reasonable distance of you and at those you can probably find people willing to mentor you.

One warning, however, some people are very secretive about their fly patterns and their favorite fishing places. In most if not all instances, the secrecy about fly patterns is rubbish.

I got lucky. I am older, and the fish came easier in those days. I had a friend/mentor who loaned me a fly rod for a full year before I got one of my own. A few simple attractors was all we needed for a good day.

Things are different now, unless you go for stockers or head into the mountain brook trout realm, where things are still fairly simple and straightfoward as far as approach, tackle and fly selection are concerned.

Good luck.

Welcome to the site. Plenty of info here if you take the time to read and figure out what questions to ask. When your out on the water pay attention to other guys on the water. You can tell the ones who know what their doing and the ones that don't. If you have the chance to talk to one of these guys ask him a question or two. More than likely you'll get your help. Yep, go the guide route if you can afford it. Learn the basics, the motor skills to make your rod work for you but don't make a science project out of things. Present your fly, mend your line.... Yes there is more to it than that but work on things in stages. I agree with all the posts before mine. Read, and read some more then practice what you have read. Take a beginners casting class and practice in your back yard. I have an old 5Wt out on my deck that I use every time I let the dogs out. My neighbors don't talk to me any more..... They think I'm really trying to catch something. Good luck. Again, welcome to the site.

Some days all I learn is how to tie better knots......

fausn,
Check out some of the recent threads on this post - there are several begining FFers who have just signed up and are looking for advice and help with gear, flies, and where to fish. This is a great crowd but, if you care to, I'd recommend you indicate where you're from. This way, you might find a FF mentor on this site. There is also likely a good fly shop near you that can answer your questions about tackle and gear. If you are still from the southcentral area, I'd recommend Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs. You mentioned fishing on Yellow Breeches - that's a good stream to start although the fish in the special reg section up at Boiling Springs can be very tough to catch and often defeat the best FFers. The stocked fish in other sections of that stream are often easier to catch. You mentioned fishing the Susky and Pinchot - you might try your old stomping grounds with a fly rod. Catching bass and sunfish is often easier than trout. If you haven't been to the Susky in recent years, there are far fewer bass in the section around Harrisburg than a decade ago. I really don't bother fishing the Susky anymore but Pinchot is still a great bass/crappie/panfish lake.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I posted a similar forum topic last week and since then have already learned so much more. I would suggest purchasing the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide. It's a great all around book that covers nearly all aspects of freshwater and even saltwater fly-fishing. You'll find casting techniques, how to build leaders, knots, reading streams and water, etc.

Also, someone posted this article to my forum and I found it to be very helpful; you may want to check it out.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/bo ... nbauer_reading_water.aspx

I'm still learning the basics too but I'm finding that educating myself through reading, talking to experienced fly-fisherman, and most importantly, getting out on the stream is rapidly helping me escape Newbism.

Tight Lines and most importantly enjoy being outdoors. A bad day of fishing is always better than a good day at the office.

Just wanted to thank all of yall who responded to my post this morning. I tried the wooly bugger today since i had the day off like skeeter suggested. Had a little luck....LOL three bites and one creek chub. Much better then i did the day before. Thanks to all of you guys who have lent your knowledge.

Glad to hear that enfausn! You did better than me yesterday, I had no bites, it was a bit on the cool side (excuses...as fisherman we make lots of them). But one other thing to remember that hasn't been said is patience. You will have good and bad days, I had a bad day yesterday so I figured why not, gotta try again today! So I am going out again, different stream (second excuse-blaming yesterday's stream). But when it happens you'll never forget it and it will be truly rewarding.

Some days all I learn is how to tie better knots......

Some days all I manage to do is unwind my backcast from the closest bush/tree!

Being new to fly fishing as well, I can tell you that it will take time. This not a sport/hobby that one learns overnight or in a lifetime. There is so much to learn and even when you're "that good", lady luck, the fish, or some other variable has its way with you.

As mentioned, read as much as you can. I didn't read all the replies in this thread, but if it hasn't already been mentioned, scour the archives of this forum. There is a ton of information contained within.

And most importantly, get out and get the fly in/on the water!

What's up all? Managed to hit the creek again today. Didn't catch anything but i did hit up youtube like you said skeeter about casting. Made a big difference after just one day. Weathers supposed to suck for the next few days here so i think i'll just get in some practice in the backyard like yall suggested. Once again thanks all. :-D

practice makes perfect

Hello all. I too am nearly new to FF'n. I live in Blair county, Tyrone to be exact.
I picked up a fly rod when I was a teenager and had a blast catching bass and whatever else. That was a few decades ago(cough sputter gag) but now that I have been laid off this last month, I HAVE THE FEVER BAD!!!!
I was on Spring Creek(upstream from Fisherman's Paradise), a week or so ago, and it was crowded since it was a Sunday and the weather was nice. I saw this guy catching fish and asked him what he was using. He replied "a night crawler." I thought that was a little odd, but hey, people do whatever they can to catch fish. So I slipped downstream from him, and he continued to catch fish left and right. I'm SURE he could tell that I didn't know what I was doing. I asked him if he was really using a night crawler, or a fly pattern that looked like one, and he just replied "no, that's just what I tell people." And didn't utter another word for the next hour or so.
I didn't expect him to give me his fly or cast my rod or anything, but ANY advice would have been appreciated. SO,,,,, with that said, I will be courteous to anyone I cross paths with in the future, but will try to keep mostly to myself and figure it out as I go.
I hope he's not a member here,,,, but if so, then I apologize to him for ranting about this.
I'm glad that this site is here. And I look forward to reading alot and getting to know some of you. I'm also thinking of joining Trout Unlimited, so I can be part of the culture and maybe help do my part as far as helping get some of the streams cleaned up.
My mind is an empty sheet of paper, ready to be filled in with some FF knowledge. Right now I probably could pick out a midge from a hendrickson, if you know what I mean.
SO,,,, hello to you's guys. And I'll see ya 'round.

Wanna,
Welcome to the board. Living where you do puts you close to some fabulous FFing. By all means join TU - many chapters have beginning FF lessons as well as fly tying lessons and the chapter meetings are a great place to meet some folks to fish with.

Take all the suggestions, and most of all, simply get in the stream as often as you can. Try fishing dries, try fishing nymphs, try fishing both together. Then if you can find someone to fish with for tips, go for it. There are plenty of us out there always willing to help.

Yea I DEFFINATELY am spending time on the water now. I have "the fever" so bad. I might need to see a Dr,,,,,,Dr Trout!!!
I'm going to have to try the drop medthod. Because even today,, Sunday 4/12, my favorite hole had suspended and sipping trout right together. I took my experienced friend to show him where it was and HE caught all the fish! LOL It was still cool. I learned alot.

Ok, I have another newbie story, but this one is good, compared to the guy that wouldn't even talk to me the other day at Spring creek.
I went to Spruce creek today. A guy was working the bottom of a run, and I asked him if he was working his way up, so that I didn't just barge into his area. He said he was, so I wished him luck and went down to the next spot.
He was doing pretty well, and I even managed to hook a nice 12" rainbow with a Walt's worm in the first riffle I came to. I was surprised. First trout I've cought in the fast stuff like that.
I ran into him, later, up at the parking lot. We exchanged how we each did and started talking. He knew alot and found out that I knew little. LOL
Long story short,,,,, he actually GAVE me a Blue Quill, I believe it was, and heaped on some good advice. I was SHOCKED!
Anyways,,, if you are a member here, "I thank you" for your kindness.

Wannacatch

You'll run into a lot more guys like you did on Spruce, then the one on Spring. I have found there are a lot of Guys out there willing to lend a helping hand.

I got a lot of help in the early days and have tried to help when I could, always made me feel good!

PaulG

Wanna- keep at it. Most guys are cool I find. Good luck.

Keep reading and searching the internet. Support your local fly shop and they will gladly help answer any questions you may have.

Back