Competition fly line

D

Dubtheflyfisher

Since the beginning of the year, I have taken up a different approach to fly fishing, euro nymphing. I still like fishing dries and streamers, but have caught significantly more fish while euro nymphing. I currently nymph with a 20 ft mono leader with fly line never leaving the reel. I just want to know from some other competition style fisherman, what are the pros and cons about competition fly line and if it would be a good investment if i continue to euro nymph.

Long leader is the ultimate way to contact nymph, comp fly lines where introduced just for comp anglers to still use small diameter light line and still be inside of the rules of only allowing 2x the length of the rod leaders.

If you like the feel of fly line go for it, but if you want the absolute best system for contact nymphing just stick with the long leader.

NewSal wrote:
If you like the feel of fly line go for it, but if you want the absolute best system for contact nymphing just stick with the long leader.

But don't fish fly fishing only waters with a 20 foot leader -- the max. PA allows is 18 feet.

redietz wrote:
NewSal wrote:

But don't fish fly fishing only waters with a 20 foot leader -- the max. PA allows is 18 feet.

Yes, I know.

The only benefit for me is it allows me to legally fish FFO waters that don't allow leaders longer than 18ft. If it wasn't for the occasional trip to these types of waters, I would probably still be using a WF line and a leader around 30ft. My current config is the nymphing fly line and a leader approaching 18ft. My leader still allows me to make a standard cast to fish dries, dry dropper or float my sighter, but it's not as easy and distance is limited or is greatly impacted by the wind. If needed, I just swap reels and go back to the WF line/std leader to use when that will fish better. If I didn't have an extra reel or spool for a WF line, then I would go back to the WF line and longer leader (I still might at some point) for the versatility. That's been my experience to this point.

Euronymphing is the way. I have been using the Rio Euro nymph line for a couple of years and it's excellent. This allowed you to cut the long butt sections in half. I use total leader length of around 12'. It comes with a loop but I cut that off and nail knot 6' piece of maxima 0.12 then Tippett ring to 18" bi color sighter then tippet ring to around 5-6' of 5xor 6x tippet including dropper. Coat the nail knot with uv knot and hit it with uv light very strong smooth connection.
For dry fly fishing I carry a separate reel with a dry fly leader. So I just switch reels. Use tippet rings, it makes re-rigging fast and efficient.

Thanks for all the info guys! I do like to fish a lot of the FFO water here in western PA so I'll probably head out and get some of the nymph line. I see tons of guys fishing with it. And I'll just carry my other reel if I want to cast dries or streamers.

Back