Comparadun recipes

K

Keith

I'm interested to learn everyone's recipes for tying mayfly comparaduns. Hendricksons,quill gordons,red quills,blue quills,slate drakes,March Browns,gray foxes,blue wing olives and any others. I've just started tying these and find them much simpler than dealing with the traditional hackle. I'd like a simple place to find all recipes instead of constantly searching. I've yet to fish any comparaduns yet but from what I've read can't wait to try. Until then I wanna keep tying them. Thanks keith

Recipes would all be pretty basic. Microfibbet tails in appropriate color, dubbed body in appropriate color and deer hair wing. Substitute z-lon or antron for the fibetts and you have a sparkle dun.

For instance my sulphur comparadun would be a wing of natural or grey deer hair, split light dun microfibbets for the tail and a dubbed body in sulphur yellow. That's the beauty of them, simple and easy to tie and very effective

Snowshoe rabbit's foot makes a good wing on a pattern like this.

The basic Comparadun is the same and the sparkle dun, which I prefer, has a synthetic tail. Only the colors change for the hatch. One can go for a slightly different color for each hatch, or simplify life. A few years ago for the late hatches from mid May on I only used a tan sparkle dun in sizes 12 through 16 and I think I caught as many as when I changed color all the time. That got me through the March Browns, sulphurs, Cahills, and even tan caddis. You could probably get away with a muskrat dun/gray for the early hatches, tan for late hatches and olive because olives are always around

But what fun would that be. I mix it up because it is more interesting to me to try to do something special for the major hatches. But you can make it much simpler and still catch fish. But I have to admit, in good sulphur years the trout can be a little picky about getting the color right because they see so many of the misc invaria, dorethea, etc.

Back