Colton Reels

Bruno

Bruno

Just found this company in Dingmans Ferry, PA. They have a line of Rods and Reels. Anyone have any experience with their stuff?

http://www.coltonfly.com

Bruno I also have interest in this company. I have heard of their products before but have never seen or had the opportunity to use them. I think I might shoot the company an email to see if they might lend us a rod and reel for testing and posting results here.

They'll probably tell me to fly a kite but you never know.

I've never seen their gear but the reels look very similar to the Cabela's SLA reels. Looks almost the same but with a mid arbor spool instead of the large arbor.

Nice stuff... I like what they were saying about eliminating the middlemen which keeps the prices down but it will be hard to test out the equipment before you buy it .But they do have a money back guarantee :-D I'm looking for a new reel and might give the 7/9 a try ...
Fishoncamp thier not to far from you give them a visit :-D

StudentofTheStream wrote:
Bruno I also have interest in this company. I have heard of their products before but have never seen or had the opportunity to use them. I think I might shoot the company an email to see if they might lend us a rod and reel for testing and posting results here.

They'll probably tell me to fly a kite but you never know.

Any luck with this so far? Since Fredrick recommended them in the other thread I'm curious now.

I shot them an email a couple days ago and have received no response. Perhaps I'll try again so they know I'm not just some jokester trying to get free stuff. We'll see what happens.

Secondary email is away so we'll see if they respond. It has peaked my interest for sure.

Well I just heard back from Bob from Colton and he seems like a pretty swell guy. He offered to meet up with me for coffee and testing some different setups but at a 5+ hour trip I had to decline.

His products have been reviewed on stripersonline.com so if you're interesting you can look there. Perhaps someone on the other side of the state close to Wingmans Ferry might be interesting in meeting up with him to check it out?

He also said their current website is outdated and hasn't been updated in a couple years. The new one is set to launch next week I believe with the current lineup of rods and reels.

Send him an email, just try to do a quick proof read as I didn't and some missing words lead him to believe it was a scam from somewhere overseas. I've never been a fan of proofreading. :roll:

If I get a chance to head up that way, I will drop in to take a look.

I'd love for him to give me a loaner for the salmon run. The place is practically on the way up there for me. :)

Thanks for the info. Even if he would sign up here and provide alittle input / demo days for our members I think it could help him out. I'd prefer to buy instate.

Interesting. Just did an ebay search and came up with a bunch of their stuff. I may have to make an offer.

Colton on Ebay

I just got a reply back from the owner of the company and he gave me a link to the new website he said its not finished yet but it will be done in a week or so . Colton Fly Company I would buy something from them right now but I don't have the money to spend since I'm paying for Little tweed's first B-day party :-D There rods are really light and fasty action all are made from high mod graphite . When I get the money I'm going to get a reel first than a 8 wt Tradwind :-D

Fredrick wrote:
I just got a reply back from the owner of the company and he gave me a link to the new website he said its not finished yet but it will be done in a week or so . Colton Fly Company I would buy something from them right now but I don't have the money to spend since I'm paying for Little tweed's first B-day party :-D There rods are really light and fasty action all are made from high mod graphite . When I get the money I'm going to get a reel first than a 8 wt Tradwind :-D

Fred,

They look like decent rods but why not take a trip up to Dingman's Ferry to try out the rods before you buy.

As far as "really light and fasty action all made from high mod graphite", I have a 9' 8wt Sage that's 3.5oz. Their 9' 5wt is listed at 4.1oz & the 9' 8wt is listed as 4.6 oz. Further, the Sage has a heavier Nickle Silver reel seat with a wood insert, while the Colton has a lighter Aluminum reel seat, yet it is quite a bit heavier. No big deal about the weight itself, but it makes you wonder about the high modulus graphite and the taper given the weight of the rod.

But as I said, seeing, handling them, and casting them is the only way to truly evaluate the rod.

Say Happy Birthday to the little Tweed for me!

Fredrick,
Looks like it's about a 2hr 15min drive for me. Maybe someone is a little closer and can check out their gear.
I do like the look of the Torrent Series reels.
Hopefully we'll hear from someone with some hands-on experience.

Fred,

The Sage Launch and XI2 are on sale now. How bout the Flight? Also, what about the Clouser TFO rod you were looking at? Redington Predator? St. Croix Ultra or Elite? As well as the Colton. There's a lot of rods out there to cast.

The best advice I can give you is rather than buying another rod while continuing to look for a new rod that's better, test cast a bunch first to find one that really works well for you, and you will have a stick to fish for a long time to come.

Tweed I have done my homework I always do when buying my equipment now . I looked hard at the clouser rod and though I didn't cast it, it wieghts over 5 oz . And with my current financial situation (daycare) I need to look at the best bang for my buck . I did alot researching and I haven't read anything bad about them yet and they are local .
I don't plan on buying for a couple of months but if I don't like it I could just send it back . All the salt guys are are raving about the company so it coldn't be that bad of a reel for $180. Here is one of the articles from some salt guys I read . Salt Guys

Fred,

As far as rods, everyone I mentioned in my previous post is close to the price point of the Colton. Also you can get plenty of feedback from guys that own many of these rods. I posted questions on Colton reels and rods but have never found anyone that knew much about the company or owned one. But the bottom line is casting and fishing with the rod. As I said, I would at least hold it in my hand and cast it first before buying another bass rod. Also, I would try casting a whole bunch others to find the one that you really like.

No problem with the reel, although the Ross Evolution is being replaced by another model and they are on sale for a great price near equal to the Colton. Most guys that own one rave about that reel.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0016972316497a.shtml#customer-product-reviews

Good luck on you rod/reel search.

Needs more pawls...

890-4 Z-AXIS G 9'0" 8 4 4 $700.00
896-4 Z-AXIS G 9'6" 8 4 4 1/8 $705.00

gfen wrote:
Needs more pawls...
Are you refering to Tweed mans wiener dog ?

I can't see how they are building for so cheap (rods) or are they getting overseas and putting together here?? I'm interested on hearing from anyone who goes there to check them out.

From what I understand sandfly the rods are made in England and the reels are machined right here in PA.

As far as the cost, his MSRP prices are cheap. (Funny how 'cheap' becomes such a relative term, anyhow) I've been going back and forth with offers on ebay and though I've declined to purchase the rod and reel I put offers in on, they sold for half price or just over of his MSRP.

I still plan on trying both a rod and reel out just not right now.

Back