Colorado - camping/fishing

H

hagman

Hi all,

I am looking for a little help with a recommendation.

I will be in Canon City, Colorado in late August. I am looking for a campground or cheap cabin on the banks of a top tier trout stream within 2-3 hours ride. I am looking to set up camp, and then just fish without having to get back in the car until I leave (something similar to Poe Paddy on Penns Creek or Francis Lake State Park on the Upper Connecticut). I would prefer a campground with decent restrooms and showers (if possible).

I have identified Lodgepoll and Cold Spring campgrounds on the Taylor River, which both look good and walking distance to fish (but no shower).

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The Gunnison and Upper Arkansas River look to be within range.

p.s. I would drive further - to the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork or Big Thompson or other streams if someone knew of an absolutely awesome spot and gave a good recommendation. But I really don't want to waste too much time driving.

p.p.s. I just want to walk in - wade fish - no float trip.

The Arkansas River is fantastic. I can't speak to the Canon City area too much but we spent quite a few years camping at Hecla Junction just above Salida, about an hour or so upriver of Canon City. It's at the bottom of Brown's Canyon. There is a minimal state fee for each day/night, it's right on the river, and lots of wild fish.

for a cabin, check out Mountain View cabin, Owner is Diane Block, and after a short walk they have a quarter mile of private water on the Arkansas. If flows allow (max 400 cfs at Hecla gauge) you can cross to the tracks and have miles and miles of river access. It also puts you within a 2 minute drive to other access such as Stonebridge, Big Bend etc. Can't beat it.

I will second the Arkansas as being a top notch fishery. I've only fished the Buena Vista up to Leadville (Hayden's meadow) stretch. That river is loaded with wild Browns that are very opportunistic on dries. The size quality falls short of some of the surrounding waters, but there are plenty of good fish in there.

As far as camping, I remember a Federal parks campground, I believe on the Clear Creek tributary to the Ark, which was free aside from the fact that you pay taxes. I talked to a retired Doctor from Baltimore that sets his camper up for several months a year. Good variety of trout in Clear Creek... Browns, Brookies, stocked rainbows from the lake it feeds into and konekee salmon during the right times.

I say the Taylor. Though I am not sure why you don't want to get back in the car and drive, but if you do camp at Lodgepole on the Taylor get in the car and drive ten minutes up the road and fish the C & R section. Also, there are a few spots along Cottonwood Pass to camp and showers are available at Taylor Park Resevoir campground. In late August you may still have green drakes in the upper C&R section. I love that place. The fishing is less technical downstream but the upper tailwaters is addicting

There are some mighty nice smaller streams in the Alamosa,Pagosa Springs area that don't get nearly the attention the name brands do- so if you are looking for a true western experience you might want to google up a Colorado map.

Thanks all!! This was very helpful. This site is great.

I hope to share the results of my trip in August!

I have never been to Colorado, so I am pretty excited.

I fish here twice every year. Personal favorite is the east river around CB south. The gunny has good access below the Taylor east confluence. August you might see some kokanee going up from blue Mesa to the hatchery on the the east. . Usually I'm fishing it in September on my way back to pa from Alaska. You don't have to go much further than gunnison or CB to see some good water

I would give Anglers Covey fly shop a call. They are in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Very helpful and I think that they would steer you in the right direction. Also Juan Ramirez aka. Hopper Juan blog. He is also familiar with that area.

Hey there! Any update on your trip? Have you hashed out where you'll be going? I'm thinking about heading out there at the end of July/beginning of August for a week of camping and fly fishing. I'm thinking about doing a loop to hit the Blue, Arkansas, and Dream Stream (and anywhere in between). Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Back