Colorado brookies

salmo

Was watching a video on a remote Colorado drainage. The brookies compete well with the rainbows, browns cutbows, cuts and rainbows. Why there and not here?

Dear salmo,

Just a guess but look at how browns have out competed brook trout in PA for a clue.

Browns are invasive in Colorado too, though I know few CO fisherman who care. Rainbows are a west slope fish, supposed to be only in streams on the western side of the Continental Divide. Cutthroats are native CO trout throughout the State.

With invaders everywhere, can you see how and where brook trout can carve out a niche?

I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say that. We've moved a lot of fish around in this country and there are bound to be both winners and losers.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Tim, here’s my response
1724631531147.png

I think brookies are prolific breeders.

It’s truly shocking where these invasives show up. Was on a Quinn River cutthroat stream in remote Nevada and the first two fish I caught were brookies. It’s amazing the tiniest little trickle got the attention of someone who would have put them there. This stream used to be attached to the Quinn River but I’m guessing many decades since it’s connected to it and just runs downstream and into the ground. Someone had to drive or ride a horse many miles to get them into this stream. Catching the Quinn River Cutthroat is hard earned. Back when it put there for food or the more is better mentality.

Same type of thing on a tiny desert stream in Alvord basin where the Alvord in its tiny stream was stocked with rainbows and interbred and now extinct. Although I know off three anglers this summer who have caught the Alvord phenotype. I hope to catch one someday.

Attachments

• IMG_6874.jpeg
    IMG_6874.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6875.jpeg
    IMG_6875.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6881.jpeg
    IMG_6881.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6879.jpeg
    IMG_6879.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 31
Brook trout thrive all over the west, and generally compete very well with browns and rainbows. Here in the East, it's not just competition with other species that are causing them to fail, it's that the environment here no longer favors brook trout.

From what I've seen, brook trout are common in small streams in the west, but not so much in medium to larger streams. Which is also true here in PA.

There are some exceptions to this. I know of a stream that is 70 feet wide in PA that has native brook trout, but no brown trout population. The reason is that the water is too acidic to support wild browns, but OK for brookies.

From what I've seen, brook trout are common in small streams in the west, but not so much in medium to larger streams. Which is also true here in PA.

There are some exceptions to this. I know of a stream that is 70 feet wide in PA that has native brook trout, but no brown trout population. The reason is that the water is too acidic to support wild browns, but OK for brookies.
So how do we acidify the water?

Probably don't want to rush into that project too quick...

"State pauses brook trout stocking to study acid rain recovery"

"It’s no secret the Adirondacks have had a long and complicated history with water quality. The park infamously suffered severe acid rain damage during the 1960s, when fallout from fossil fuels devastated lakes, streams and rivers in the region and decimated aquatic life – especially brook trout."

Back