Cold summer streams in south central PA

B

blakew510

I live in York and want to find a stream that is still cold and fishable within 90 minutes from my house. My understanding is muddy creek is too warm at the moment but is there somewhere this time of year that remains cold with active fish?

The big name streams of the Cumberland Valley are your best bet: Letort, Falling Springs, Big Spring. Gunpowder in MD would also be a good bet.
Breeches can fish well in summer, but be careful with water temps. Clarks Creek can fish well too and should be colder, but it may be very low, but worth checking out. There are other spots a bit off the beaten path, but these are the big names.

Do some exploring and take your stream thermometer with you.
Good luck.

There are numerous wild trout streams in York Co that are very fishable, especially in the Muddy Creek and Codorus Creek basins. Check the PFBC wild trout streams list and then look at a map for drainage basin size in order to get an impression of the drainage area upstream from the wild trout stream section.

If you fish the Gunpowder, be sure to clean your gear off.

most of the wild trout streams in York are getting warm I would say. I was just on one of the colder ones last week(wasn't very cold) Heading out Saturday morning to hit the codorus(I call it the west branch) should be cold bottom fed tail water from lake Marburg. Sunday I'll be hitting some muddy tribs I'll temp check them and let you know.

Yes even the small in ones in the Muddy watershed are 62 in the am and over 70 in the afternoon. Fish early or better yet give em a break.

blake510 Codorus creek trophy section(lake Marburg tailwater/west branch) was 52deg on Saturday morning. I ended up hitting one muddy creek tributary later and it was at 62. then finished the day off with a bunch smallies and one ~26" channel cat on my 5wt.

Back