codorus trophy trout

I would agree with you in strategic location. However when downed debris retracts the flow of the stream and allows for sediment to build up this is not productive and is why we loose hatches. If you fished the Codorus in its prime you would understand where I’m coming from. There was a day when you could wade through the section of the “tank” that the stream bed was nice gravel and it held lots of fish. Today the section is like quicksand and is no very fishable except for bank fishing. We need to keep falling debris clean so the flow can maintain and keep the bottom clean of sediment.

Troutbert,
What you describe would discourage people, but to my knowledge the portion of the stream within the existing TT limits is 100% open to public fishing except in fall, where one larger property is closed for hunting purposes. I also noted a discussion on this Board about posting near the upper end of the TT area a couple of years ago and the WCO checked into it. Again, to my knowledge that situation was favorably resolved. If anything I have said in this paragraph has recently changed, I would welcome a response to the contrary so that the situation could be investigated.

Additionally, the low usage that I described above during the specific time periods that I mentioned could not have had anything to do with posting because my observations were made in unposted, previously popular stretches. I would add that it could not have been because of poor fishing either, because the catching was outstanding with spinners.

Yeah, TB is out of touch on the access and parking. If you find the TT section on a map and just drive to the closest areas to the stream you can park there is parking. As Mike said the lower end had/has an access issue in the fall but its usually clearly marked when its open and not.

Plenty of stream, plenty of fish. Unfortunately on the smaller side. I believe its due to the meager flows of late, Not sure what the flow regimes were in the good old days but over the past ten or so years its been below 50cfs as a norm and probably closer to 35cfs. That leaves for far fewer and less quality big fish habitat areas. Thats what I think the problem is. Not that the Codo has a problem. its a great little wild brown trout stream. I think people remember a 17"er they caught or a 20"er they saw shocked in a survey and expect that to be the norm.

Just because you find a part of the stream "hard to fish" doesn't make it a bad section. It makes it a nursery and refuge area for larger fish or smaller fish more vulnerable to predation. Even posted sections do that. Some mixture of posting, unfishable or difficult to fish areas is good for a stream especially if it holds reproducing populations of wild fish.

Its like taking the pediatric ward out of the hospital to make more beds for the old folks. sooner or later there will be no old folks.

But the biggest reason the pressure is "light" and people "fish the breeches more" is, wait for it....Its not stocked!!!!!!!!! most people, me included when fishing a stream outside of a hatch will gravitate to a stocked trout stream for the simple reason they have a better chance of catching fish. I am not saying the Codorus should be stocked, it shouldn't, But there is no need to over analyze why. Its simple.

My question about the current regs is, Is it the goal of TT regs to "Produce" Trophy Trout or is is an advertisement that they are there? I mean what is a fisheries manager saying when they check that box and get the signs printed? Yeah there are plenty of 14's in here, lets kill em? or Maybe if we harvest the 14's there will be bigger fish here? I guess I am just a dummy that must follow white trucks...Sounds like a good place to include in the keystone select program...You would get your big fish, lots of traffic and perhaps even MORE posted water.

Sometimes you just gotta leave some places alone. Micro managing these "relatively popular" rural streams under special regulation that run through private land is a powderkeg. Let the local stakeholders manage the access and just provide law enforcement services so long there are no population crashes, its all good.

To be honest, I have only bee to Codorus once in the last few years, I fished it regularly at the turn of the century,(see what I did there) and I found it too easy and predictable. I never got run off buy a landowner, never had toruble parking, and never found "too much wood or downed trees". I did get stuck in the milkshake tanks a few times. Mostly the upper tank tho.

Some great habitat work had been done on that section and CodorusTU has certainly been actively representing it. As opposed to the past when I think the meetings were the only activities going on besides fishing. But we should not be throwing stones at the hows of volunteers efforts. If you are a concerned stakeholder go to a meeting and make some suggestions rather than poking current management of a volunteer organization in the eye on a message board. Thats just sour grapes! Sheesh!

I am gonna make it a point to fish there more often before Mike transfers it to the Keystone Select Program. LOL. Good Luck with that Tom!

More feedback...

Fortunately, the lower end of the TT section is no longer closed in the fall. The township owns it now and its considered a public park.

On the upper section- unofficially, if you park downstream and walk up, staying in the stream corridor and out of the fields, you'll probably be fine. I say, unofficially because the landowner (who is a nice and very reasonable guy) ultimately has the final say. In other words, folks can't go up there and say that they're allowed to fish there because they read it online somewhere. This applies to any water and, as usual, is based on courtesy and common sense. His biggest issue in the past has been people parking up there and blocking access to his fields - so don't do that.

I agree with Mo's point that a hard to fish section isn't necessarily a bad section, for the reasons he mentioned.

Other than that, there's only so much that can be done over there. Most of the land is people's active farmland, and they just want to be left alone and manage it as they see fit. They maintain a good riparian buffer, allow public access, and the creek has been a healthy wild trout stream for decades while little has changed. TU will continue to look for opportunities to do habitat improvement wherever the landowners are receptive - and new projects are in the planning stages.

If it was up to me, I'd cross 'Trophy" off of the signs, introduce some more large forage (sculpins!) preach landowner relations and pray for enough precip to keep Lake Marburg full - and then leave it the hell alone! I'm just thankful to have such a quality wild trout fishery in such an unlikely location.

CodorusTUTom wrote:

If it was up to me, I'd cross 'Trophy" off of the signs, introduce some more large forage (sculpins!) preach landowner relations and pray for enough precip to keep Lake Marburg full - and then leave it the hell alone! I'm just thankful to have such a quality wild trout fishery in such an unlikely location.

So thats a no on the Keystone Select tom? :hammer: :pint:

Ummmm...that is correct! :-D

My experience in the politics is limited I will say this. From the stand point of someone who has fished all over this great country for fish big to small salt to fresh. Codorus creek is a top notch fishery. Could it be better? Sure but so can alot of things. Its primary hatch can be great, the fish can be at least as big as any other PA stream and the pressure is not horrible. If you have never fished it come on down I think it will open your eyes. Nymphing can result in double digit numbers alot of days. Its a good place to fish. Its a short drive for me and just as productive as anywhere else.End of story for me.

TT came about through the effort, discussed by some here in the past, that the PFBC took on to simplify regulations. Selective harvest regs were the better regs for the Codorus because a 12 inch length limit better matched the size BT that the stream was able to produce in some quantity. When Selective Harvest regs were eliminated from the tool-box, the next best reg that still allowed some harvest, but was also a special reg, was the TT reg.

To complete the history, it was a DH Stream, stocked to the gills, prior to TT and it was in short order under DH that the stream went from a Class C to a Class A and beyond. Prior to that it was stocked with adult and fingerling trout, and was a very popular stocked trout section. Prior to that is was stocked only with adult trout. I started the fingerling stockings as an experiment around 1982 or so. This was one BT stream in which angler harvest kept the wild trout substantially depressed, as evidenced by the quick response of the wild BT to the DH reg, despite intensive stocking under that reg.

I remember some very cold March days shoving float boxes over and through the deadfalls putting in those stocked fish. Back then, I don't think anyone could've imagined what we were in store for, and how truly fortunate we would be to gain such a remarkable fishery.

Mike wrote:
To complete the history, it was a DH Stream, stocked to the gills, prior to TT and it was in short order under DH that the stream went from a Class C to a Class A and beyond. Prior to that it was stocked with adult and fingerling trout, and was a very popular stocked trout section. Prior to that is was stocked only with adult trout. I started the fingerling stockings as an experiment around 1982 or so. This was one BT stream in which angler harvest kept the wild trout substantially depressed, as evidenced by the quick response of the wild BT to the DH reg, despite intensive stocking under that reg.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the history tour.

I actually had bought a rod about 10 years ago, just for that section of the Codorus, a 7' 5 weight. I called it the Codorus Special. I have an even shorter rod now.

There are sections of that creek that hold fish but all you have room for is a mighty roll cast. Absolutely choked to the banks with and brush. Too much wading spooks fish. I wear hip boots and fish from the bank whenever possible.

Back