Codorus State Park - Lake Temperature Fluctuations

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

Good article from Codorus State Park addressing how high/fluctuating water temps impact fish. Not rocket science or anything new here, just thought some locals or those who fish the lake may be interested in seeing this. I was looking to maybe take my kayak out here for some bass fly fishing, so any feedback on this lake for that would be helpful to me.

Hopefully it doesn’t affect the bass fishing, Marburg is one of my favorite lakes. I’ve always done well around the dam other riprap/rock structure for bass, whether I’m drop shotting or wacky rigging, although right now they will probably be staging to spawn shallower up in creek arms or something. There’s some real tanks in there, I’m talking fish over 6-7 pounds and some smallmouth too. I’ve never fly fished the lake however but yeah that’s what I’ve noticed while fishing the lake

Hopefully it doesn’t affect the bass fishing, Marburg is one of my favorite lakes. I’ve always done well around the dam other riprap/rock structure for bass, whether I’m drop shotting or wacky rigging, although right now they will probably be staging to spawn shallower up in creek arms or something. There’s some real tanks in there, I’m talking fish over 6-7 pounds and some smallmouth too. I’ve never fly fished the lake however but yeah that’s what I’ve noticed while fishing the lake
Good to know. I have never tried fly fishing out my kayak, a Pelican Sentinel 100X. I'm sure being in a kayak with only sit down capabilities is not optimal, but I want to try it out. I'd really love to spin fish for bass out of it but I have only fly fished my entire life and am not sure where to start.

Good to know. I have never tried fly fishing out my kayak, a Pelican Sentinel 100X. I'm sure being in a kayak with only sit down capabilities is not optimal, but I want to try it out. I'd really love to spin fish for bass out of it but I have only fly fished my entire life and am not sure where to start.
since this is a fly fishing forum i'm not gonna get to detailed into spin fishing, but in my opinion the easiest way to catch them for begginers is wacky rigging a 4-5 inch green pumpkin senko (soft plastic worm) on a wacky style hook. Just let it sink and then twitch it every now and then, pulling it up off the bottom. I'd try to find some ponds to start out at instead of bigger lakes simply because its much much easier to find the fish in a smaller body of water. I'm the exact opposite of you, Ive spin fished my whole life for everything, mostly bass, and have been trying out fly fishing for the past couple months. My first fly fishing trip for bass was a nightmare mostly because the only fly rod I have is meant for small stream trout and is like 7 feet long.

Again talking about Marburg, its a big lake so i'm not sure you'd be able to fish everywhere on a kayak depending how much time you have. Me and my dad usually launch our boat at the smith station road boat launch, and from there with a kayak if you headed to the other side of the bridge its more protected. There is also a couple coves and stuff in that area that are near the main creek channel, so it could be the perfect place to find bass that are spawning and moving up from deeper water about to spawn.

Sit on kayak + large body of water + big winds = not much fun and potentially dangerous.

If you don't have much experience, go in small steps. Get comfortable in craft, learn prevailing wind direction, look at launch points and map of lake. Figure out where you can hide from north wind...same for south, etc. It can be very effective way to get at them👍

I haven’t been past lately, have the carp moved up into the shallow water coves?

I have the same model kayak and do fly fish out of it though I usually have spinning gear as well. I mounted tracks on both sides and have rod holders capable of handling a fly rod(s). Before that I made a custom fly rod holder by mounting a Scotty to a piece of pvc that fits into the flush mount holders behind the seat.

I have the same model kayak and do fly fish out of it though I usually have spinning gear as well. I mounted tracks on both sides and have rod holders capable of handling a fly rod(s). Before that I made a custom fly rod holder by mounting a Scotty to a piece of pvc that fits into the flush mount holders behind the seat.
Good to know that the kayak works well. I will investigate rod holders for it as the spinning rod holders obviously do not hold the fly rod. I will also take KrayFish's advice to go slow and avoid wind, especially in the lower profile kayak

Back