Codorus heavy posting

larkmark

larkmark

I haven't been out to Codorus for a while and took a drive over last week. Sad to see area above sawmill just platsered with posted signs including a wire across creek with a sign. I never ventured far up in that part because of heavy mud. Apparently someone must have really pissed off the landowner. i wonder if it is deer hunting or fishing related. Hate to see so many places getting posted. Hunting I can understand to a point but trout fishing?Come on.

From what I understand it's fishing related. This goes back some amount of years and flared up again last spring. Seems to be another example of LO posting by rude fishermen behavior. There was a blurb about losing access and to please be respect-full of landowners on the Codorus TU website.

larkmark - Fritz is correct, the posting was caused by a fisherman, and the incident involved the landowner's little kids. There have been other isolated incidents in the past and that one was the last straw. As is often the case, an ignorant few ruined things for everyone else. The landowner is a good guy and very reasonable, but we understand and support his decision. We just hope no one is dumb enough to press him about it and make things even worse. Unfortunate but justified.

CodorusTUTom wrote:
larkmark - Fritz is correct, the posting was caused by a fisherman, and the incident involved the landowner's little kids. There have been other isolated incidents in the past and that one was the last straw. As is often the case, an ignorant few ruined things for everyone else. The landowner is a good guy and very reasonable, but we understand and support his decision. We just hope no one is dumb enough to press him about it and make things even worse. Unfortunate but justified.

Thanks for the heads-up and the work your chapter does to support Codorus. It's appreciated.

Par for the course. This is how the West Branch Brandywine FFO stretch, which used to hold trout well into the summer, making it extra valuable in SE Pa, was lost yrs ago.

Another doozie on Codorus some yrs ago in the special reg area occurred when an angler walked across a freshly planted farm field.

Thanks for the info. I talked to the landowner and he was a nice guy. This was a couple years back. If the fisherman was carrying a fly rod I would be even more surprised and disappointed. All these places are being advertised on the web and the types of people who are showing up are not the respectful fly fishermen we used to have around. Pretty damn sad.

Thanks for the updates. I was disappointed by that wire this past December, but it makes sense now.

Sorry to disappoint lark but he was a fly guy.

Frankly, that’s what I expected.

Too bad. This is not good for the sport of fly fishing. I will say that all the increase of traffic year round on some of these trout streams really gets the attention of landowners who maybe just left places open in the past. A few people who respectfully fished occasionally is a whole lot different than constant pounding. This is the real downside to popularizing the sport. And the types of fishermen seems to be more and more of these obsessed people who just can't let it rest. As they say, the times they are a changing. Sucks.

This thread piqued my interest and caused a revelation. A few years back no trespassing signs went up along access to a tributary of a local creek I fish. Bummer I thought but no big deal since I have only fished this trib a handful of times and usually stick to the main creek. It's a warm water creek that I fish when I want to kill a few hours after work.

Last year on this same trib I noticed yellow official no trespassing signs in addition to the older white signs. I decided to go and read the signs. The white ones say it's a wildlife refuge and trespassers will be punished in accordance with P.L. 974 and it is patrolled. The newer yellow no trespassing signs list the purported parcel owner.

Now P.L. is short for penal laws which were replaced by title 18 some forty years ago. What kind of BS is this I thought so I checked the county parcel maps and learned 8 acres of stream access is owned by the county. In other words its public property. The jackwagon who's name is listed on the yellow sign actually owns a small one acre adjoining parcel that has no stream access or border. His property does not come with 300 feet of the water. This jerk just annexed public property and for a couple years I did not venture to this creek. In addition I noted that all of the stream bed is township owned and all the adjoining parcels end at the stream bank. The fraudulent posting effectively blocked the access to the publicly owned stream bed.

The moral of the story is respect the signs but verify their validity.

poopdeck wrote:
This thread piqued my interest and caused a revelation. A few years back no trespassing signs went up along access to a tributary of a local creek I fish. Bummer I thought but no big deal since I have only fished this trib a handful of times and usually stick to the main creek. It's a warm water creek that I fish when I want to kill a few hours after work.

Last year on this same trib I noticed yellow official no trespassing signs in addition to the older white signs. I decided to go and read the signs. The white ones say it's a wildlife refuge and trespassers will be punished in accordance with P.L. 974 and it is patrolled. The newer yellow no trespassing signs list the purported parcel owner.

Now P.L. is short for penal laws which were replaced by title 18 some forty years ago. What kind of BS is this I thought so I checked the county parcel maps and learned 8 acres of stream access is owned by the county. In other words its public property. The jackwagon who's name is listed on the yellow sign actually owns a small one acre adjoining parcel that has no stream access or border. His property does not come with 300 feet of the water. This jerk just annexed public property and for a couple years I did not venture to this creek. In addition I noted that all of the stream bed is township owned and all the adjoining parcels end at the stream bank. The fraudulent posting effectively blocked the access to the publicly owned stream bed.

The moral of the story is respect the signs but verify their validity.

^ This happens quite a lot.

And now, with the "purple paint" law passed in PA, this type of property piracy will be made permanent simply by buying a can of purple paint.

https://fox43.com/2020/01/27/hunters-beware-purple-paint-markings-to-serve-as-alternative-for-no-trespassing-signs-in-pennsylvania/

Agree with poopdeck above

I can also vouch for running into several fake postings over the last five years or so.

Add to that being harassed by owners on nearly every posted navigable water I've fished, who were apparently disingenuous enough to hope I wasn't educated on high water law. Granted, most of this has come from clubs.

This is all caused by PA's senseless ownership laws. There's absolutely no amount of logic behind allowing some antiquated distinction of navigability from the 19th century to keep public resources open to the public. It serves the public, landowners, and the environment to include the riparian buffer in this distinction and set it to all streams.

While I understand the landowner in the Codorus case is simply doing what's allowed by law, I can't help but lose sympathy in these situations. This feels an awful lot like buying a house next to the fire station and then getting upset that the whistle is loud. You should know what you're buying into.

Put up a wire along your property, not across the stream itself.

larkmark wrote:

I will say that all the increase of traffic year round on some of these trout streams really gets the attention of landowners who maybe just left places open in the past. A few people who respectfully fished occasionally is a whole lot different than constant pounding.

And the types of fishermen seems to be more and more of these obsessed people who just can't let it rest.

Agreed.

So you're in favor of closing the season for a period....like spawn through hatch out? Great and welcome to the club. Spread the word

NMR wrote:
I can also vouch for running into several fake postings over the last five years or so.

Add to that being harassed by owners on nearly every posted navigable water I've fished, who were apparently disingenuous enough to hope I wasn't educated on high water law. Granted, most of this has come from clubs.

This is all caused by PA's senseless ownership laws. There's absolutely no amount of logic behind allowing some antiquated distinction of navigability from the 19th century to keep public resources open to the public. It serves the public, landowners, and the environment to include the riparian buffer in this distinction and set it to all streams.

While I understand the landowner in the Codorus case is simply doing what's allowed by law, I can't help but lose sympathy in these situations. This feels an awful lot like buying a house next to the fire station and then getting upset that the whistle is loud. You should know what you're buying into.

Put up a wire along your property, not across the stream itself.

The list of navigable water ways in PA is pretty short(Susky, Delaware, Juniata, Little J, Allegheny and Lehigh) Just curious where you've run into issues.

I think you're comparison is way off, it's not like that at all.

The list of navigable water ways in PA is pretty short(Susky, Delaware, Juniata, Little J, Allegheny and Lehigh) Just curious where you've run into issues.

Don’t forget the monongahela, youghiogheny, Ohio and Schuylkill

HopBack wrote:

Don’t forget the monongahela, youghiogheny, Ohio and Schuylkill

Thanks, thought I was missing a few. I just don't see fishing clubs posting and trying to kick people out of these rivers. I know the little J had some issues but seems to he resolved now.

krayfish- I am definitely leaning that way. Considering the upper Delaware system in NY as an example. Look at Spring Creek Constant pounding and you will notice that the fish are all small. All that handling kills the bigger ones. Years ago people were not so obsessed. It really is sad to see. Give them a damn break.

Back