Codorus Creek article

You know, I don't know, is the RR bridge where the landowner posted. Doesn't the guy own on both sides of the tracks there. Posted. What a shame. Used to be able to fish branch that flows into the tailwater below the dam. It's Posted. Some sportsmans club or something. Downstream near the Mengis Mills, posted. Glatfelter, No tresspassing. Below the TT, Posted, violaters will be violated. I love that stream, but it's getting ridiculous.

That is getting ridiculous. Its been years since i fished it and it sounds like I may never again if that trend continues.

It would be great if you guys could stop by for a meeting sometime.....2nd Wednesday of every month @ 7:00 PM.

Well, I know the other stream that is frequently mentioned that Mike refers to is the Tully. He is 100% correct that the better fish habitat is down stream of the regulations. There is also less pressure. There are also bigger fish (except possibly the Cacoosing confluence that gets pounded daily by fly fisherman). It's a tick or two warmer and there is some serious frog water through that section with heavy weeds, etc. However, there are some very deep pools that keep trout year round, that you typically won't catch but they are there. I also know that Mike practices what he preaches and fishes the ATW of the Tully. There's nothing wrong with his opinion on this and he in my opinion he is right. Better fish habitat and bigger fish in ATW of the Tully.

Jeff,

I almost agree with that.

The Tully is a better stream with better habitat out of the regs but upstream of the regs section. Way above the lake ;-)

It would be great if you guys could stop by for a meeting sometime.....2nd Wednesday of every month @ 7:00 PM.

I would but im a 2nd shifter

tennjed wrote:

Do you guys cannonball at the meetings? If so I'm there! :-D

I have seen nothing over the years to make me buy the poaching argument and I have seen big holdover stocked and wild browns (brown trout - notice I specify brown trout), sometimes in abundance, in truly big fish habitat, regardless of angling activity in the vast majority of cases. These streams were open to all angling techniques, so what is typically called poaching by special reg anglers was perfectly legal in the waters I am referencing and occurred with much greater frequency. I have left room for a exceptions because there were a few...very few...where I believe legal angling pressure (extreme) was a factor.

Yep..for these guys.

Attachments

• Codorus Brown.jpg
    Codorus Brown.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 3
Mike wrote:
With respect to the large fish in the Codorus, they were always larger and more abundant outside of the special regulations water where there was better big fish habitat! This, by the way, is typical of many special reg areas with brown trout populations and, in fact, I just had a pm this week from a board contributor regarding another special reg stream that is often mentioned on this board where the situation is the same...the large fish are much more abundant outside of the special reg area where the big fish habitat is better. This despite the fact that it is well known in the angling community (bait anglers included) that the big fish are there It's the habitat fellow anglers, not the regs.

Mike knows the deal better than any one of us for the most part. To add to his statement above, no doubt all fish (even stockies..lol) will seek out the best habitat. The SR areas are generally too short of a stream section, typically a mile or two, to hold even most of the fish stocked in the SR, thus many will move out into the open regulation (ATW) water. Also SR sections are are chosen for suitable fish habitat, but access and parking considerations also weigh heavily in the equation, so the best fish holding areas of the stream are not necessarily in the SR section.

As far as fishing pressure, generally there's heavy angler pressure early in the season or after a stocking. This pressure decreases rapidly as many of the (easy) fish are caught and they spread out over the stream and harder to find. In addition the weather warms and other fish species are targeted by many anglers (also the freezer is full...lol).

After the crowds thin and fish move it's usually best to chose the best habitat on the stream with respect to flow, temp, cover, and depth, rather than just fishing the SR water because you assume more fish will be there because of C&R or DH regs. If you can find a section of stream off the beaten path, so much the better since most anglers don't stray more than few hundred yards from the parking area.

Another benefit is most times in open water the fish appreciate your offering of flies since they don't get pounded day after day with every fly pattern ever created like in most SR areas.

Finally, while most SRs are crowded with anglers, most the open water sections will be empty of anglers, but may be loaded with fish eager to bite on your flies.

That's a nice brownie tennjed. Got himself a little kype forming and everything! I work in Hanover (Penn Township) and live in Mount Joy and pass over the Codorus during my commute. I really should make it a point to turn right on Porters Road sometime and fish it...

Yeah you should.

Back