Clousers

wbranch

wbranch

I got tired of tying dry flies so I switched it up a bit today with some Clousers & marabous.

Attachments

• Clousers1.jpg
    Clousers1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Clousers4.JPG
    Clousers4.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Marabous.JPG
    Marabous.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 3
very nice WB. I think I tie more Clousers than any other fly because they get trashed by the bass and bottom of the Allegheny River. I started flex coating the heads and eyes to make them last longer.

Turkey,

Thanks! Here is my big Clouser box. It is really a neat box, it has four sides to it, and four hinges. You can open one side and put flies in both pieces of foam, then close that cover, flip it over and there is another storage area just like the first. I bought it years ago from Cold Spring Anglers and use it in my bass boat.

Attachments

• Clouser Box1.JPG
    Clouser Box1.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 3
  • Clouser Box 2.JPG
    Clouser Box 2.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 4
That's a serious amount of Clousers.

There is at least 227 of them in that box and I have two other 4" x 7" boxes that I use in my vests. One for trout and the other for smallmouth.

I'll tell you a very sad story. One evening I was driving back from the Susuehanna where I'd been out with the boat near Wrightsville. It was getting a little dark and I wanted to get the boat on the trailer before it got totally dark.

I didn't go through my normal checklist of things I do when putting the boat onto the trailer. A box just like the big one in the picture was sitting between the two seats on the boat.

I pulled away from the ramp, got onto Rte 30 and drove the six miles to my house in York. The next day I went out to go out fishing again and put my rods and lunch into the boat. Then I went to put the big box in the boat. It was not in the car!

I knew immediately that I must of forgotten to take it out of the boat. I quick jumped into the car and drove back down to the ramp and started to re-trace my drive home. I got to about one mile east of the Hellam exit when I saw one cover of the box on the shoulder. I stopped and parked and then saw another smashed section. Then another and none of the flies were in the foam. They were scattered all over the roadway for about 150'. Many had bent hooks, and others had been run over and the eyes had come out, others were just plain ruined and a bunch were likely stuck in dozens of cars that had driven over them during the night. I found one of the four pages intact with about twenty flies in it.

It took weeks to re-tie all of the lost flies. Plus I had to buy another box. Now I never leave a ramp before doing a 100% inspection of inside and around the boat.

Back