Clear Shade Creek - Gallitzin State Forest

PocketWater

PocketWater

Doing an overnight primitive camping trip with a couple of fellow fly fishers this Saturday. Has anyone fished Clear Shade Creek in Gallitzin State Forest recently? Was just wondering if this stream tends to heat up this time of year, or if it stays moderately cool.

Some research says it is a good trout stream for July, but I have never been there. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have fished the project several times- but there are miles more of open water I have not fished that a steeper decline and broken water that may have more oxygen and hold more than the project.

The project is at a high elevation relative to the rest of PA and there is a section where pines cover both sides of the stream , so that would be a good bet this time of year. Dwight Landis book has a good nap.

I'd go with terrestrials and a weenie under. Good luck.

acristickid wrote:
Dwight Landis book has a good nap.

I mean it's no Stephen King novel, but I found it to be an interesting read! It's a FFing book after all! :p

Ha, good one!!!!

In my defense , I am typing on a phone on the elliptical at the gym. Good catch.

That's pretty darn impressive then!

Thanks for the information guys. I am going to probably be right up in the Clear Shade Wild Area which is upstream of Cub Run. One of the guys I am going with is into hiking, and the other a fly fisher. The FFO section is downstream of where I will be so if that is decent I hope up in the Wild Area is good.

Noted on the terrestrials.

Very interested on seeing how this goes!

Same here. Hope it goes well. This area has been on my list to check out for a while now, just haven't made it there yet.

I'll give a report. Hopefully it's at least decent.

Here are my thoughts on the trip. We fished about 2 miles of stream in the wild area.

https://pocketwaterblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/11/primitive-camp-in-the-clear-shade-wild-area/

Back