Class a Trout Waters

gulfgreyhound

gulfgreyhound

I've checked the List of Class a Trout Waters and was hoping for GPS numbers. Do these exist or how should I approach locating these streams? GG

I find the Pennsylvania Atlas & Gazetteer to be most helpful in finding these streams. I always have it with me on a road trip.

The maps on the PFBC web site are interactive. They link with Google maps and will give directions to the lower limits of the creek sections that support Class A populations. Finding parking and access that is not posted (or asking permission) is up to you.

Google Earth has been the biggest help for me for finding access to streams. Go online and look up Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access, (just type PASDA into google) and search that site. You can find just about anything you need there. It has layers for mapping such as stocked trout waters, class A waters, wilderness trout streams. Basically all of the data that the PFBC interactive map has.

Another big help from that site is you can find layers that show boundaries of public lands in PA like game lands and parking areas, state parks, and things of that nature. Once you download all the files you want from there you can upload them into google earth and create your own personal map to find all of the class A water you want.

One other site to check out is wildtroutstreams.com. This site has a download of all of PA's streams with trout reproduction in them that breaks the streams down in class A, B, C, and D. Very helpful tool.

I don't know remember the details of how I did it, but I have a Class A layer that I imported from somewhere into My Maps in Google Maps. Then, wherever I am logged into my Google account (i.e. on my phone), that layer will display in Google Maps and I can see the class A streams. It's a little bit lighter and easier to use than using PASDA on my phone.

Google Maps. You know the county, so search a relative town and start roaming around the county. The class A will give you roads and such as markers for boundaries, so just follow the stream on maps and see what you find. Also good for locating access points.

I used the following website w/ Google Earth

http://wildtroutstreams.com/streams/pa

Don.

Thanks everyone. Good platforms to search. The last one was good, thanks Don. GG

Back