Clarks Creek Hatch

drumat26

drumat26

Went fishin on Clark's Creek yesterday. Fish were pounding a hatch on top of the water. Could not tell what it was. I didn't see anything floating through the water or flying around. But there certainly was some sort of hatch on because I was only able to get 2 fish to strike in 3 hours. I fished everything in my box and was having some struggles. Any ideas on what it might have been that they were feeding on?

If they were splashy rises and/or fish actually launching themselves out of the water, it could have been a caddis hatch.

Small rings on the water and sipping trout, maybe midges.

Rises here and there - now and then, could be terrestrials falling on the water.

Also, Clarks is known for their famous inch worm "hatch."

I'm with afishandado.
My pure guess :flying ants

There are small whitish worms that are falli g from the trees now...according to a guy I talked to on Clark's last weekend. We were exclusively throwing cicadas...and killin' em!

The green inchworms have been on caddis is always pretty solid choice. The wild fish are up in the riffles now. My guess would be terrestrials is what they were taking. ESP if you couldn't see anything.

All the fish we caught were on small zebras. We also fished yesterday. Tried a floating inchworm, didn't work

Hit clarks last night 7/16/13. Fished from 6 til 745. Caught 6. Caught every one of them on a size #16 Foam ant. Presentation didn't matter, in fact most of the fish hit after I slapped the fly on the water. Missed many more. Would have changed flies, but somehow I dropped my box along the way and was out of options. I did not bring bug spray and regretted it.

keptrain wrote:
Hit clarks last night 7/16/13. Fished from 6 til 745. Caught 6. Caught every one of them on a size #16 Foam ant. Presentation didn't matter, in fact most of the fish hit after I slapped the fly on the water. Missed many more. Would have changed flies, but somehow I dropped my box along the way and was out of options. I did not bring bug spray and regretted it.
Why'd you leave at such an early hour? Usually the best fishing of the day is at dark, or twilight.

I live in Shrewsbury and have a three week old baby. Didn't want to get the wife too worked up by rolling in late.

They were pretty aggressive strikes. I tried fishing green weenies along with all that I had in my box. Only caught 2. Unfortunately I was unable to be up there during the cicada hatch. Ill Have to tie some midges and some small white worms. Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

Back