Clarks Creek Dauphin County

E

Etowns54

Any body seeing any hatching going on? Or is anybody even having any dry fly success yet? They were crushing the stone fly nymphs last week.

Seriously? No one has fished clarks lately?

Not since the fall, but planning to get up there soon. Such a peaceful place amongst those hemlocks.

Not really the best stream for hatches... Lots of midges tho. Terrestrials are awesome in the summer. I've done well in the past on standard attractor dries. Parachute Adams, small humpy's, etc... I'd go with a soft hackle, or midge pupa, or BWO's

I took the skunk today in Clark's. Water was clear, high, and cold. And any fish I did see were tight to the bottom. I could not coax em. I struggle with his creek because of the tight hemlocks. But it is a pretty setting and I still enjoyed a beautiful day in the woods.

When Clarks is high, tie on a black bugger with a split shot or two up from the fly about 12". You can fish from the bank most places. Just cast across and down, then pull the fly upsteam a few feet and let it float back down. I find the brookies can't resist the black buggers............good luck.

I fished Clarks briefly yesterday. The water was definitely moving. I felt that it had a fair amount of color (for Clarks) on Saturday. The water temp was 43 degrees. After wading across the stream once, I decided to fish a little bit and then get the necessary second crossing over with. I was only there for about an hour and also left without hooking a fish. It was nice having lunch under the hemlocks though.

DSC05986.JPG

DSC05987.JPG

I'm not saying Clarks can't be fished from the banks but with my casting skills and all those hemlocks it is a sound tactical decision for me to wade. The flow and water temp just didn't make that very enjoyable.

I moved on to Manada and did reasonably well there.

DSC05990.JPG

The last page of the Patriot, section A, shows the flow over the DeHart spillway. It's at plus 8. Not quite the USGS stream flow gauge accuracy, but it helps.

Nice fish, btw.

Back