Clarion River near Cooksburg

fishingkidPA

fishingkidPA

I will be at McBeths cabins right in cooksburg for a week and so and i'm bringing up the canoe. If any of you have ever been up there all the canoe rentals get pretty crazy with tons of people on the water above were 36 crosses the clarion. We floated down about 4 miles below 36 and saw a lot of shallow water, and caught a few bass, i dont think one over 12 inches. It was shallow unlike above were the canoe rental floats take place. I'm not try to steal any spots, just looking for some deeper water to fish for SM and i my brother wants to try for catfish. Should i just fight the canoers and fish up there? i remember fishing on the upper allegheny near tidiuote, tons of canoes. they could float anywhere on the river but they would always float with in 15 yards of me fishing lol. any help is appreciated.

There are a few...not many, deeper holes above the 36 bridge. It might be easier to find them by canoe and then "pull over" if you will and fish them on foot. I dont know much about that area but have canoed it. Hopefully someone else will have something to add.

It's a fairly shallow river to begin with. Above the 36 bridge has a few deeper holes.

My family used to stay at Mcbeths and I always did pretty well wading down stream from the cabins. There are n't any deep holes for the first 1/2 mile but there are some deeper runs that hold some decent sm, especially along the far shore.

thanks guys. im back, and only caught one SM. no one i talked to up there that week caught a SM bigger than 10 inches. oh well. We got a bunch of catfish on spinning gear of 20+ inches

Back