Clarion River Fall Flies?

ChesCoAngler

ChesCoAngler

I'm planning to fish the main branch of the Clarion in the Johnsonburg/Ridgway area in the near future. Any tips on flies for fall?I was figuring terrestrials, caddis, and streamers. Any slate drakes, olives, etc?
I'm targeting trout so will be mindful of stream temps... just saying.

You should not have to concern yourself with stream temps up there under normal fall conditions.

I caught fish up there last weekend on caddis and terrestrials.
Saw a few olives, but not enough to get the fish on them.
Can't recall any slates.

The water temps on the main stem ranged from 62 degrees in the morning, up to 68 degrees late afternoon.
The east branch held right around 60 all day just below the dam.
But with the cooler temps we're getting right now, those numbers would likely be lower for sure

Thanks for the info. The Johnsonburg temp gauge made it look a little warmer. I was also figuring the nice fall weather would make the temps drop a lil.

Yeah, there was something odd about the clarion river johnsonburg gauge when I checked it before going up last weekend.
It looked kinda different - and was showing temps reaching 75 degrees.
I almost didn't go up because of that. But I had some doubt about it's accuracy by the temps I was reading on the east and west branches.
So I went up anyway - figuring if the main stem was indeed that warm, I would just fish the branches.
But it wasn't - and it fished pretty well

Back