Clarion River East Branch

salvelinus

salvelinus

A fishing buddy is finally coming up to my cabin Tuesday after eight years of coaxing. Kettle, Pine and the First Fork are too warm; brookie streams too low. So I was thinking of running over to the East Branch of the Clarion. Good flow and temps below the dam. I found some info on here but nothing recent. I've never fished there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. PM if you prefer. Thank you.

Yes, you will find cool water there now - no matter how warm the air temps get.
The only negative are the regulations - delayed harvest. You can legally kill some fish there after june 15th - or somewhere close to that date. And in my experience there - people do. Which is too bad.
Because it can definitely hold fish all year.
That said, the fishing should still be worthwhile there now IMO

thanks to dryflyguy,I recently fished there for the first time and did well.It definitely holds some nice fish.DFG was right that mayfly and other hatches there are not great.
However,I would make sure I bring a well stocked terrestrial fly box:)

Just got home from there. Fished pretty well. Bounced around all over, hit some of the delayed harvest area. Only saw 1 other fisherman. Picked up 5 fish in a few hrs, w 1 nice sized stocked bow. Was only nymphing.

We fished the DHALO Wednesday. It's a nice stream, and certainly is cold. My buddy got a couple rainbows, I had no luck, but I had takes and couldn't seem to seal the deal. Some locals told us the fishing is better on the main river from Johnsonburg down to Ridgway. Took the scenic route back through Benezette and saw six bull elk. My buddy had never seen one so it made up for the slow day fishing.

I fish this stream a good bit, 30 mins from my camp, beautiful water, good flows and cold water, but it can also be disappointing, very few hatches, tan caddis is the best, maybe a sparse hatch of sulfur or a Cahill ? also in the DHALO area , in the slow water you will see risers, they are midging, ...It just baffles me as to why the Fish Comm doesn`t do anything to help improve this stream, good flows and in the middle of august its 60 deg, good access all the way down past the state park,

Back