Clarion river catch and release stretch fishing report

P

pdmatak

I might be heading up to Ridgway this weekend and was wondering if the catch and release stretch on the clarion river is good this time of the year. Never fished this stretch and is the only close spot to me that is open year round. Also where are some good spots to try on this stretch and also what flies to use.

Thanks!

The fishing is always good, somewhere on the Clarion! The water is low, so look for the deeper pools and plan on doing some walking. There is parking and well used trails at both ends, in Johnsonburg and Ridgway, not a whole lot of parking in the middle. The tracks run next to the river and are easily accessible from the lower limits. The tracks are much easier to walk than some of the trails, and most of the trails go to the holes that get pounded regularly. But keep in mind, there is good reason those holes get pounded!
Great place and time to fish, wish I was headed there! The FFO on the West branch and DHALO on the East are both open as well. The FFO on the West will fish pretty quick with the water this low. The DHALO is a nice stretch, and lots of fresh water coming out of the dam.
This is all IMHO, it has been well versed on this site that there are NO fish in the Clarion river and I still believe that!

Sounds good, thanks a lot!

Do any of you happen to know if the West Branch of the Clarion is still bank fishing only? I believe there was a no wade policy on that section before.

Back