CK Nymph

wgmiller

wgmiller

Has anyone ever fished this pattern before? I happened upon Andy Leitzinger’s video the other day and figured I’d tie a few up on a jig hook (Firehole 523) and slotted tungsten bead. I don’t much care for wrapping lead on the shank anymore, but instead like to control weight with the bead. Curious to give these a whirl coming up!

IMG 1126

I fish it weightless like a dry and weighted as a nymph(wire wrapped around shank). I have never tried beads or jig hooks. I have never caught stockers weighted and brookies as a dry fly.

Has anyone ever fished this pattern before? I happened upon Andy Leitzinger’s video the other day and figured I’d tie a few up on a jig hook (Firehole 523) and slotted tungsten bead. I don’t much care for wrapping lead on the shank anymore, but instead like to control weight with the bead. Curious to give these a whirl coming up!

View attachment 1641232465
I great fly for bluegill, er, I mean brook trout!

In the original Chuck Kraft video he says he ties them in several different colors. GHM - what color(s) do you use, and when?

KeviR,
I never really experimented with colors. I kept the hurl, grizzly hackle, and yellow mallard for the tail (I don’t have wood duck).
Gavin

I tied some in the original style with 1XL nymph hooks and lead on the shank, (#8 and #12) and a few with black beadheads (#12 jig hook). Will give them a try. Thanks for the info. I also have dyed mallard - good enough.

I have several colors and *almost* went down the fly tyer’s rabbit hole of tying up several different versions. Then logic prevailed and I figured I’d try the few I tied up first before going overboard 😂

IMG 1232

Is it better than a Hares Ear fur type nymph?

I’ve had more success with a hares ear but the CK nymph has its place. It resembles a caterpillar well.
Funny you should mention that. I was fishing a stream in Schuylkill County a week or so ago and saw this guy on a branch. I should have tied the CK Nymph on!

IMG 1094

Interesting fly. I will have to give them a try.

Geez I only got two minutes into the video before I couldn't take it anymore. Never fished the CK since I do fish the hares ear or some variant of a hares ear 99% of the time. I do like the fly though, it’s basic, simple and seems easy to tie.

Is it better than a Hares Ear fur type nymph?
Good point. It was apparently invented in 1961 and it was till now that I heard of it. Could it really be that great? I'll find out and report back. At some point...

Back