Cicadas in Central PA 2025

S

Sylvaneous

I saw a cicada brood map which showed Centre and Clinton counties to have Brood 14 hatching in 2025. I just remember how epic things were on the Little J when it happened way back when.
Clear your calendars and save up vacation.
Syl

Bald eagle creek and sayers with cicada dry flies sounds epic.

Will this be the one they call "The Big Brood?"

Yes, it should be the big one.

Brood maps may or may not show it overlapping with the brood that hatched in 2021, but the 2025 brood's range definitely extends far enough south to include the LJR.

Zero in Wayne County on the Upper D. This area is not known for Cicadas so it was to be expected. I tied a few anyway.

2021 cicadas in Central PA was a major letdown.

Yeah, I don't think I saw a single one. At least not anywhere I actually fish. I didn't go looking for them elsewhere.

The brood due in 2025 for central PA is the same one that produced phenomenal fishing in 2008. Easily the best, and most exciting dry fly fishing I've ever had in PA.

Yeah, I don't think I saw a single one. At least not anywhere I actually fish. I didn't go looking for them elsewhere.

The brood due in 2025 for central PA is the same one that produced phenomenal fishing in 2008. Easily the best, and most exciting dry fly fishing I've ever had in PA.
I couldn't remmember when that one was, but I was staying at my uncle's place in State College a lot that June. Penns didn't really have them, which is fine. Spring did, but it's fish are smaller. Fantasic fishing the fast water with a FAT rubber legged foam dry for gator-headed browns on the Little J. I shake my head thinking about all the time that has passed between then and now. I thought I'd get into another cicada brood in that time. Nope. Shame.

In the southern part of the state in 2021 they were everywhere. There were so many of them that it got the grass carp feeding on the surface and eating topwater poppers. I watched some guy land a 48 pounder on a fly rod and me and my friend/his dad caught some big ones on bass gear. I’m not old enough to have witnessed much fishing but it was the craziest fishing I’ve ever seen

2025? What about 2024? Broods 13 and 19 are scheduled to hatch this spring. They're both big broods and this conjunction only happens every 221 years. Anybody have any easy-to-tie patterns?

I saw tons of cicadas. They were everywhere in Mifflin County in 2021. Fish didn't care. Maybe 2008 is when I was on a boat bass fishing Raystown when I remember carp sucking them from the surface.

The last time southern MD actually had a big, deafening cicada hatch, every bird and squirrel in the neighborhood was eating them. The last time we were supposed to get a big hatch, the only big thing was the hype... we hardly had any more than a typical summer.

2025? What about 2024? Broods 13 and 19 are scheduled to hatch this spring. They're both big broods and this conjunction only happens every 221 years. Anybody have any easy-to-tie patterns?
But those are not in PA, correct?

Based on what I’ve read those 2 particular broods are not major players in Pennsylvania

No 17 year cicadas in PA this year.

Next year is the year to look forward to in central PA.

Last edited:
Sorry, right. Not in PA. Don't need a pattern right now.

Craft foam with a folded head, orange sililegs and a big hunk of zelon for a wing. Ugly didn't matter in 2021. Cast it with a splat and hang on.

I found two places loaded with 'em that were fishable - one a bass and panfish impoundment, and one along the Breeches. Nearly every cast elicited a hit. I tied mine on a big #4 streamer hook, intending to target carp. But bluegill and smaller trout would not get hooked. Landed many many medium or larger trout and every largemouth that took a swipe. It was great fun and easily the best dry fly fishing i ever had. Yielded my first 20" wild brown from the Breeches. If you're near a spot to give it a shot, definitley worth a try. Glue that bug together when you tie it and size up the leader. You don't need more than half a dozen for the whole season.

They were definitely spotty in 2021. Upper breeches didn’t seem to have many but the lower breeches were loaded. I’ve never seen some many bugs, aside from maybe a lantern fly nymph hatch. The calls were almost deafening. Pretty much had the same fly that Laurelrun said. It didn’t really matter how pretty it was. If it was big, dark, roughly shaped like a bug and had a good plop a fish would almost always hit it.

Back