Cicada's 2012

Acristickid

Acristickid

Anybody seeing them in VA,WV or MD?

Have'nt heard anything was wondering if there was enough emerging for some good fishing.

cicada map

I haven't heard anything coming from Maryland (and haven't seen any there or here in SC PA).

Virginia and further south - couldn't say. I don't follow the news in detail down there.

Here's the best site I found for the cicadas in PA.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/periodical-cicada

I tied up a handful intending to fish them with Dave this year but it never happened.

they are hatching in WV and VA, I've been down that way the past 2 weekends and saw some, not a bunch though. sorry, wasn't fishing, just riding, but there wasn't any water in the creeks anyways!

Looks like there have been cicadas near Harman's.

http://magicicada.org/databases/magicicada/map.html

I'll be there July 16-17 and give a report

I heard them yesterday in Vienna, Va (Fairfax County). They were buzzing in the trees at the Seldom Scene concert.

Might be nice to give cicadas a try on the Potomac nearby some time. Like in the morning, before it gets too hot.

From the map, it looks as if the Shenandoah River might be a good bet for cicadas. Maybe use a black popper, with some orange on the bottom.

Come to think of it, some sort of cork fly might make a good trout cicada imitation, too. I think fish are attracted by the ruckus that swamped cicadas put up with their wings. Anything that might impart that sort of action in the fly would be a help.

^ Seldom Scene - saw them open for John Prine 20 years ago in Baltimore...good to see they are still touring.

Just remember there are 2 different types of cicadas. The annual ones are what most people know of. They're in the dog days of summer. The 13 and 17 year varieties are a bit smaller with more orange on their bodies. These are the ones that hatch in biblical proportions and can cause massive feeding frenzies of fish.

If you see lots of green on them = dog day cicada. Occur pretty much everywhere, every summer, in more normal bug numbers.

Black with orange markings = periodic cicada. Hatch in huge numbers but only every 13 or 17 years.

Dog Day Cicadas are littering the front lawn at my job. I stopped by the Wissahickon the other day and the trees were full of them. You could hear the buzzing from a quarter mile away. Too bad there's no trout left.

17 year cicada for Potomac area;

Attachments

• 8-3-12 005.jpg
    8-3-12 005.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 4
The buzz of cicadas has been massive in Northern Va. over the past few weeks. But so far I haven't seen a single live one- just one empty case.

?

Back