Christmas Eve Eve fishing in the Lehigh Valley

HopBack

HopBack

I just wanted to quickly share some pics of a great little gem I found in the Lehigh Valley. We went up early to my in-laws this year for our for Christmas and my wife was gracious enough to let me get out for a few hours by myself.

I lived in the Valley for 2 years but never did any fly fishing. I was hoping to fish one of the famous streams like Saucon or the Monacacy but of course it rained buckets for 2 days straight and everything was pretty much blown out.

Instead of fishing one of the icons I picked out a small stream on a map and gave it a crack. Incidentally I lost the biggest wild brown of my life but had a lot action on an olive slum buster.

9D133A9431BC41E78970.jpeg

3D7EE163B8784D9CB019.jpeg

AF61C79F2E3F47BDB720.jpeg

9321356B5DBE421AB7D1.jpeg

55D18857D54A45B586D5.jpeg

7D20289DACCC4D1895E9.jpeg

89BE67D25C6841BC8DD6.jpeg

Very cool! Nice looking fish too.

Love the pics, looks like a great time, how big was the brown you lost?

Awesome stuff buddy..I'm getting ready to go out fishing for the first time in what feels like FOREVER. I think that I'm on the longest fishless streak of my life..that all changes this Christmas Eve morning, I hope.

Nice pix and looks like a great stream. There are quite a few hidden gems in the Lehigh Valley. I grew up in the area and have a few secrets there myself.

Beautiful pictures. I'm glad you had the chance to make it out during the busy holiday season!!! Funny thing, I made it out for an hour and a half yesterday as well. I fished a stream section in between wild and stocked water and only used an olive slumpbuster. Very similar results, about 10 wild browns and a nice holdover rainbow in the mid teens. The takes were awesome yesterday. Very aggressive moves right off the bank. I watched the big bow chase from in front of a boulder to mid channel and accelerate to inhale the fly.

Fun times!!! Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Attachments

• ST3.jpg
    ST3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 4
  • ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2
Love the pics, looks like a great time, how big was the brown you lost?

Thanks Ryan, the brown I lost was pushing 20” I’m sure. I got a good look at it before it took a run under a log and got off.

I have caught a few 18” wild browns but I don’t typically catch big fish as I typically don’t fish areas that support them and I rarely throw streamers.

The takes were awesome yesterday. Very aggressive moves right off the bank. I watched the big bow chase from in front of a boulder to mid channel and accelerate to inhale the fly.

I expirenced the same thing. I finally understand what people get out of fishing big streamers. Under the right conditions it can produce some extrodanary takes. I was swinging most of the time and the letting the streamer flutter in the current and then watching browns come out of no where and attack the fly like a shark!

Here a couple more from an hour trip today on a local limestoner. I was throwing small sculpin patterns tied with an ice dub head (Fly is shown in picture 2). More fun times and Merry Christmas to all!!!

Attachments

• ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 4
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2
Nice fish! Love those unexpected times when it all comes together.

Nice fish! Love those unexpected times when it all comes together.

Thanks man, hope your able to get into some soon!

Back