Chota Rock - Loc boots

K

kbobb

Been using these for a year now on all kinds of stream conditions from easy wading like spring creek to more difficult streams like the Savage in MD. On my second pair of studs.

Pros: roomy boots, comfortable and nice walking on dry surfaces. Easy on and off with the elastic laces.

Cons: Very slippery in the water. like walking on ice sometimes. These boots do NOT inspire confidence when wading and subsequently I spend a lot of time trying not to slip/fall and not concentrating on my fishing.
The same roominess that makes them comfortable also makes them a little cumbersome in the water.

Today I used my old studded felt sole boots from another maker and I really noticed a difference between the two models with the felts feeling more secure. It was so striking that I wanted to tell others of my experience with the rock-locs.
I will be getting rid of the Rock-locs when the new felts arrive.

You cannot wear the felt boots in Maryland, they were outlawed last year.

I read this on the net somewhere so I think its going to be more than statewide. Maryland, Alaska, and Vermont are on the ban so far.

The conservation group Trout Unlimited asked manufacturers in 2008 to stop producing felt-soled footwear by 2011 to curb the spread of didymo and other aquatic nuisances. Not all have complied, but most are working on alternate materials and designing boots that clean up easier and dry faster, making them less hospitable to microbes, said David Kumlien, who heads Trout Unlimited’s Aquatic Invasive Species Program.

Kumlien testified in support of the Vermont felt ban but he said Trout Unlimited isn’t lobbying for prohibition, partly because felt soles aren’t the only culprits. Instead of seeking felt bans, Trout Unlimited is encouraging everyone who works or plays on the water to “inspect, clean and dry” their gear after use.

Thanks for the review. I haven't started looking hard yet, but those were definitely on my radar for my next pair of wading boots. I've always liked Chota boots, they fit me very well. I have duck feet, short and fat, so love the roominess. My current pair is a Cabela's brand made by Chota, STL copy, studded felt. I also had the Abrams Creek and an experimental model before, and liked them both.

Been intrigued by the new generations of rubbers, but afraid of making the leap. I'd rather have the hassle of cleaning them than a broken face, and as you know, I fish a lot of places with big, slick rocks.

Back