Chosing water in the winter

mute

mute

What's everyone's thought process when exploring new streams during winter temps. Ive been slowing exploring more and more waters via SGLs recently and now that cold temps have arrived im wondering if there's science or strategy to not drive 2hr just to be ice fishing.

Do certain types of streams have higher freeze tolerances? Should you be focusing only on waters that flow Into a lake or warmer body of water? Might be more of a science or SOL situation but figured anything's valuable at this point.

Limestone streams in the limestone belt valleys typically don’t freeze.

For small freestoners, higher gradient ones typically don’t freeze as quick, but they all can. My experience is it takes nights into the low 20’s or lower to do it, but yeah, it’s kind of a gamble.

I want to get out this weekend and check out a new stream, and fish in the snow a bit. On the fence about how much ice it’ll have on it though.

I agree on the limestone observation. I will be interested in hearing other perspectives, though. I'm thinking about sneaking out over the holidays and beyond and would like to hear places where other anglers have had success. For example, can anyone confirm whether a summertime cold water release becomes a warm water release in the wintertime (water of course would be roughly the same temp, but 60 degrees is warm when the air temp is 20 degrees).

Also, anyone have any thoughts on rainbows especially, but trout in general, making runs out of medium to big lakes into tribs? Not looking for any spots, but my dad used to pursue "Maryland steelhead" 30 years ago and would get one nice fish for every three or four hard days of fishing, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has engaged in this fool's errand in recent years.

Also, while the classic for keeping ice out of your guides is Vaseline, I can attest that I usually forget to bring it, but chapstick works just as well.

When I fished in winter (its been a while) I was more concerned with parking and stream access in winter. Nothing like getting your vehicle stuck or having to climb a hill on foot in 2 ft of left over show. Especially when its got a crust on it. These are the streams I chose.

I will add that if you still have felt soles, any stream that allows you to stay out of the snow is also good. I hated making it back to the road looking like the bass player for Earth, Wind and Fire!

tomgamber wrote:
When I fished in winter (its been a while) I was more concerned with parking and stream access in winter. Nothing like getting your vehicle stuck or having to climb a hill on foot in 2 ft of left over show. Especially when its got a crust on it. These are the streams I chose.

I will add that if you still have felt soles, any stream that allows you to stay out of the snow is also good. I hated making it back to the road looking like the bass player for Earth, Wind and Fire!

^
This is good advice, especially if you're new to fishing in typical central and northern PA winter landscape.

A reasonably good rule of thumb for choosing winter freestone destinations is to pay attention to which streams hold up best temperature and flow wise in the summer. Due to stronger and more frequent spring inputs, these same streams are more likely to be open, unfrozen and fishable in winter.

It isn't an absolute thing and there are exceptions, but it is pretty good guidance.

Limestones and dam release freeze later for sure. Also, amount of development around stream and wastewater treatment plants keeps streams open. Crazy fact but I have not seen the schuylkill and some other tribes in the area frozen ever. Could be mine water?

I have driven upstate twice looking at schuylkill not a piece of ice to find a pine creek totally locked in ice.

Air temp definitely comes into play, williamsport area was single digits until mid morning today. 2 small streams I drove by a basically covered in ice. The difference in 5-10 degrees especially day time warming Temps when comparing the northern to southern parts of the state is a big factor.

tomgamber wrote:
When I fished in winter (its been a while) I was more concerned with parking and stream access in winter. Nothing like getting your vehicle stuck or having to climb a hill on foot in 2 ft of left over show.
I once had to get my car winched three feet from the shoulder on to dry road about a half mile from the Hickory Run SP Office as I couldn't budge the car off the ice & snow covered shoulder.

Oh yea, if that wasn't bad enough, NO cell service so I had to walk back to the office and use my credit card on the pay phone to call road service...

...good thing there was a pay phone & I had a credit card...!!!

Not much I can add to the location recommendations except:

Make sure your wading shoe soles have studs. Ice on the banks and hills can be TREACHEROUS to walk on.

If you don't have one, get a wading staff and use it to probe the bank to figure out where the "shelf ice" ends and the water begins. It can also save your arse if you start to slip. This is also one of those times where a carbide tipped wading staff is better than one that is rubber or aluminum tipped. At minimum, get a broom stick, hammer a nail in the bottom, cut it off and sharpen it.

Once IN the water, look out for flowing chunks of ice, they can knock you over if you don't see them coming!!

Tell someone where you plan to be fishing in case any of the bad things happen. Being out all night in the spring or summer is one thing, the winter is a whole other issue!

Have fun!!

JimKennedy wrote:
I agree on the limestone observation. I will be interested in hearing other perspectives, though. I'm thinking about sneaking out over the holidays and beyond and would like to hear places where other anglers have had success. For example, can anyone confirm whether a summertime cold water release becomes a warm water release in the wintertime (water of course would be roughly the same temp, but 60 degrees is warm when the air temp is 20 degrees).

Also, anyone have any thoughts on rainbows especially, but trout in general, making runs out of medium to big lakes into tribs? Not looking for any spots, but my dad used to pursue "Maryland steelhead" 30 years ago and would get one nice fish for every three or four hard days of fishing, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has engaged in this fool's errand in recent years.

Also, while the classic for keeping ice out of your guides is Vaseline, I can attest that I usually forget to bring it, but chapstick works just as well.
Here’s some live data from today in the Johnsonburg area.

West Branch Clarion River temp is 32. This creek is about 7 miles from EB Dam

E Branch Clarion River Dam Release for last few days has been about 36.5 degrees

On June 7-14 the E Branch Dam Release was about 55

So there is a bit of an advantage on the EBranch Tailrace in winter but not enough to make you drive any distance for a major advantage. It’s not like the lake maintains 55 degrees all year. I believe in fall there is a lake turnover that occurs when colder water on the surface becomes “heavier” than the warmer water below it and the cold surface water falls downward. Essentially arriving at a fairly consistent temp from top to bottom. Someone please correct me where I misstated the process.

JimKennedy wrote:

I wouldn't say that the tail waters stay 60 but no doubt the are warm enough to fish. If they are deep enough to stay cold in the summer they are deep enough to stay warmer in the winter. Most of the ones I fish will sit between 36 and 40. Finding water that is just a little warmer makes a GIANT difference in winter fishing. I definitely make good use of my thermometer starting now. As for MD steelhead there is no such thing ;-)

tomgamber wrote:

Trying to keep me from fishing are ya!?

I haven't had any parking issues this far. I think alot of troubling situations that get encountered comes when your ego or common sense gets blocked.

https://fishyintentions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/pxl_20201220_201549632_compress211945227657400118040-1536x1152.jpg

https://fishyintentions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/pxl_20201219_162655422115215151571538229.jpg

They fry up better after being on snow for a few seconds

Anything limestone. True limestone streams fish good all winter. Scuds cressbugs sowbugs and sculpins. Big spring, letort,falling springs are al good options. Any thing that is limestone influence should stay open too but it’s more of a midge game.

Stay home, you are not in the "HOT States". Freeze down, There is a time, but not now. Now is time to shift up with all gear and get ready for the "NEW ONE 2021! Make a Plan, Make a date, and most of all, Make a friend!

I hope you get it, Beadhead! Timing, contacts, availability, always a plus! So, "Long John Silver, a couple pals, on a perfect setting, a day off or two and a longing for a bent rod!

Now you see what i liked, in life!

Maxima12

Fortunately I have some limestone areas nearby because I don't like to travel far in the winter. Generally I like to have a nice lunch, fish the warmest part of the afternoon and be be home in plenty of time for dinner. Love fishing in the snow - just not all day.

It also may be a time to try lower reaches of some trout streams. Spots that are too warm in the summer, but are fertile spots in the winter. Fish must have a route to head back upstream. Spring seeps can draw fish, but also dark bottoms in slow current.

The advice about parking is spot on. Once it snows I tend to fish in places with a cleared parking lot. That means more in town type fishing compared to game lands (but some parks have cleared lots). I have been stuck as well (canoeing rather than fishing) and it was something I don't want to repeat.

Where I fish the wild browns concentrate in a few winter holes. As a result, many years I have my best fishing in January and February.
However, it is very tough to pry those spots from the old-timers. Need to put a little work in, but when you find a few you will be in good shape.

One potential tip. If you can find a nearby USGS gauge, and it’s showing as frozen, you can use that as a proxy. Assuming no limestone or warmer water discharge influences that could locally influence the stream in question.

For instance, if Kettle at Cross Fork shows ice, you can reasonably deduce that much of the upper watershed and tributaries are iced in too.

Ahh I did not know a usgs guage even had that attribute

Back