Chincoteague Island Help

Raff

Raff

I'm heading to Chincoteague Island April 30 for a few days with the lady, and I wouldn't mind throwing a line out while I'm there. Is there any good shore fishing to be had? I don't think I'll have time to charter or rent a boat.

If so, am I looking at the standard Klousers, Deceivers, Bob's Bangers, etc.?

Any help and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Scott

I haven't fished that area in a long time and certainly can't provide any detailed info. As a general rule, stripers show up in April along the mid Atlantic. They're already thick on the Jersey shore (they arrived early this year) so there should be plenty of 'em as well as bluefish along the Chincoteague beaches. April 30th is early for flounder ("fluke") but you might see a few around the inlets or up at Ocean City under the RT 50 bridge. A few casts with a Clouser into an early morning surf is always worth a try from springtime until Christmas. I'd say you stand a good chance of hooking up with some stripers. The flies you mentioned will cover the bases and have some wire leaders if blues are around. I always take some spin tackle when visiting the beach just in case the wind is ripping.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info Fishidiot! I've been scouring the area with Google Earth, and I think I've ID'd a few good spots.

No spin gear for me. Not an elitist, just never bought any.

Raff,

I lived on the Eastern Shore of MD/ VA for about 12 years, the last 3 of which were on Chincoteague. Fish is right regarding the Stripers, and the wind can be an issue this time of year. I used to do pretty good with big, bushy white and chartruse bucktail streamers. In the early spring the surf can get pretty high and the water is going to be pretty cold still, so if you are going to go out on Assateague be careful. I really used to do more surf fishing with a 10 to 12 foot spinning setup intended for surf fishing, but have had some luck with the fly rod as well, just try to keep the fly down and get it way out there. As far as fishing the backwaters and guts, it might still be a little slow, however there are flounder in abundance in the waters between Chincoteague and the mainland and they should be starting soon, but you will need a boat to get to the good spots. Smallish woven mylar bodied streamers in gold and silver, with white or blue bucktail wings stripped in short fast jerks work well for Blues and there are a TON of fun on a fly rod, however they seem to me to be alot more common up toward the Ocean City inlet, which is close to an hour away from Chincoteague. There is a place on the island where you can rent a small gas powered skiff for the day at a pretty reasonable price, if you can I would reccomend it, and then go explore some of that water between the mainland and the island, or the island and Assateague. Chincoteague is a beautiful and very laid back place to be, have fun!!

Check out docsflies.com I believe the site owner and his dad have fished the area quite extensively in the past. I talked to his dad the other year when I was there and he seemed to know the area quite well, I believe he is from Harrisburg and spends a lot of time there in the summer. Just e-mail him and he will reply very quickly. Good luck!

Searched the site and found this. I will be there in mid July, is there any worthwhile fishing in Chincoteague or Assateague Bays without a boat? I only have one fly rod, a 5 wt, so I will be spin fishing the surf on the ocean side. Any ideas what I can expect to catch in the ocean?

Also I notice on the satellite images there are a few small ponds near where I will be staying, does anyone know if they have bass and panfish or would the water be too salty? If there are bass and panfish in the ponds or something else i can fish for in the bays I will take the fly rod along for those.

Pray for an onshore wind-ponies,dung and horseflies can make it rough.

If you're camping, dont take one of the cozy-looking sites in the bushes. Get one out in the open, prefferably closer to the beach.
THOSE skeeters will rip you apart. Literally.

Won't be camping, family is renting a house for a week along eastern shore of chincoteague bay. So there will probably be a lot of bugs, but are there any fish? I'll fish by moonlight if the bugs are that bad, but only if I have a chance to catch something!

I've read that I could get into fish such as spot and small sharks and flounder in the tidal creeks if I could get ahold of a 'yak. but just walking the edges of shallow coves, idk.

I've done the Jersey shore evenigns on my summer vacations, I've learned some stuff that may be helpful, but YMMV.

Ed Mitchell's written some books, specifically on fishing estuaries, bays, etc. Its a good book. Buy it.

Other than that, tides move bait. Predators follow bait. Tide goes in, bait goes up the creeks. Tide goes out, and vice versa. Predators sit at the exit points of the creeks, channels, etc.

Always fish moving tides, slack water not as productive.

Lights attract bait.

A stripping basket can be made from a simple tupperware dish basket, some zip ties, and your wading belt. You'll look like a dork.

I learned its a good idea to wear long sleeves and long pants at night. Also, gallons of bug spray. Hell, I'd drink Deet if I thought it'd help.

Don't get caught somewhere you can't get back to from a rising tide.

Salt marsh. Think about that designation for a moment. The second word, "marsh," is the key here. They're awful, nasty, horrible places of stink, sucking mud, ticks and blood sucking flying beasts. I walked into one to fish the sod banks and creeks one time. Once.

I won't do that again.

Oh, and let me echo Pete41's advise, which is a salt water truism if you don't live in a place you can do this when ever you want: Take a spinning rod, too.

edit: Bugs are worse at night, dude.
edit 2: Buy a good pliers. Find a tackle shop, buy anything you can justify (like your pliers!), ask questions. Take notes. Take a tide chart.

Thanks G, like how you kept it simple- I have been known to overthink things. Make myself look like a dork and drink bugspray and I might catch something, got it! Lol.

All kidding aside, I think I've found a spot that will concentrate fish during moving tides. Idk if i will be able to access it though. It's not a salt marsh but there looks to be some brush between the road I'm staying on and the beach. I'll try to find that book somewhere too.

As far as spinning gear, I'll have my two big surf rods with me but my only other spinning gear is a pair of nice ultralite setups that I'm not willing to risk damaging in the salt, the reels are more expensive than surf rod and reel combos. if I have to use spinning gear I'll work something out with the surf tackle, it will probably be overkill but if that's what it takes to cast into the wind then so be it.

Here's a spot really close to our place, sandy point running along the edge of a channel with what looks like a shallow mud flat to the right of the point. When tide is running out the current would be going from top right to bottom left. So on an incoming tide I'm guessing predator fish would station to the top right of the point, and on an outgoing tide they would hug the dropoff on the left side?

Attachments

• chinco sat view.jpg
    chinco sat view.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 10
Just be like the locals and go crabbin' off a bridge.

Bump in case anyone wants to add anything, leaving for Chincoteague next Sunday!

I always fished for Flounder on the island. I do not know how you would fly fish for them? Maybe bobbing a Clouser right off the dock. We caught them like that but with real minnows.
Fish for them on incoming tides. Even though you will catch them whenever. What i would do i cast out a ways and then strip three small strips and then let it sit, three small strips let it sit, and so on. With a Clouser or any minnow looking fly! Good luck!

Forgot to add that there is some good fishing for Red's there. That mud flat looks nice.

Thanks Roosters. From what I have read clousers work well for flounder. Do you know if the reds are there this time of year? that would be great as I have always had good luck with reds.

Me and my dad would fish all year long, But if i remember correctly we caught more in fall. If you go spin fishing, Go to the sand, Dig in were the waves are coming in (have to be quick) and you will find little buglike creatures. We called them sand flees. Hook those on and you will be catching reds in no time!

I know exactly what you mean. I gave those a shot in the surf in OBX last time I was there and was hooking big croaker as soon as it hit bottom.

I read some reports online and sounds like the big flounder are in at least 15' of water now which I will likely not be able to get to. So I'm hoping for some small flounder and snapper blues on the fly and a red would really be awesome. Will post a report when I get back.

Okay. Good luck and catch some fish!

Quick report:
Saw my backing for the first time today...way too much for comfort actually. I hooked a 3 ft wide cownose ray on my second cast this morning. When the 5x leader snapped half an hour later, it was probably 200 ft away and it did not seem to me like I was gonna wear it out anytime soon! Whenever I tried to bear down and gain some line it would just get PO'ed and next thing I knew another 50 ft of line was gone. Think I needed a 20 wt rod for that guy. 5 wt wasn't getting it done lol.

Yesterday (first time FF-ing the salt) I caught a pair of little black sea bass on a clouser minnow so at least I wont get skunked for the trip. Still looking to get a flounder or bluefish on the fly but i have located both with spinning tackle so it shouldn't be long!

Back