Chest Pack

Dear Paul,

Wow, you lost 70 pounds in a year? I know you had a very difficult time healthwise but consider that loss a blessing in disguise and do me a favor and do your best to not refill your waders anytime soon.

Deal?

I've sort of made a half-azzed goal of getting under 300 pounds by my 50th birthday. I haven't started yet what with the Holiday's and all coming up, but I'm going to really try this year to stop being a fat old old turd and just be a regular old turd.

Regards,
Tim Murphy:)

I'm in the market for a chest pack myself, and it sounds like there are some good deals to be had at the moment, but I can't open the loon site. Anyone else having this problem?

They closed the link because the sale is over .

Bummer. The fishpond packs are still on sale at Madison but I try to wear dark greens and browns on the water--not usually orange and blue.

Go with the Richardson Chest Box and add the backpack. I have 2 Richardson's, a Flydeck and a Downstream chest box with 8 boxes (they also now have the backpack).

Joe E

FishIdiot has one of those boxes (or something similar) I saw at the Steelhead Jam. It was pretty awesome.

orvis makes a nice sling ,out front when u need it , on backside when u don't.

JoeE,

Mind expanding your posts? Why the Richardson over the two others?

What do like/dislike about each?

I have all but decided to get a downstream. I like the ease of removing trays, and am thinking I can get numerous trays packed with catagorized flies. Then decide on 2-3 trays to carry on the stream. Basically, I am thinking the downstream will provide a system so I have storage of all my flies, while not needing to take all of them with me on stream each time fishing.

thanks

I stopped buying stuff years ago that I never used and the chest boxes help control that. I realized that I only used specific stuff and flies even if nothing was working and why bring all of my flies on the stream in a vest. The new Richardson with removable plates I use for trout (3 box. but leave other plates in the truck in a holder),The older Richardson is used for smallmouth (3 box: poppers, streamers, nymphs/crayfish),The FlyDeck (16 window) is used for brook trout (I only fish dries for brookies),The Downstream is the catch all with the interchangeable boxes (small ponds, OBX, Shad, steelhead..Etc). All have their place and I like them all. I hope that answered your question.

Joe E

I have a Downs box- 4 trays. I did'nt like it- could'nt see my feet. I am what some describe as husky or portly though.

Dont use vests either anymore. Discovered I like a lanyard and just use the pockets of my fishing shirt or jacket to hold 2 medium sized boxes. Weight,indicators, camera, tp,granola bars go in the wader pockets. Not looking back.

I got this stuff and sits around mostly- but I would rather just hold on to this stuff than sell it for $25 or $50 bucks.

Probably should get rid of an Orvis Trident TLS 8'6 5wt 4pcs. with Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor II.

So much of types of stuff comes down to personal preference and comfort -really what you find that works the best for you.

I most I fished with the Downstream is 5 boxes and that was too much. I like is 3 to 4 boxes. That is why the Richardson Chest boxes are 3 box only it helps control the number of boxes. I have a friemd that fishes 8 boxes with the Downstream.

Joe. E

I haven't strapped one on yet...but I saw the Mag fanny pack by William Joseph when it was in testing...the mag system is very, very sweet...I am looking at one of the little mag systems by William Joseph...

Feet? I have feet? I thought after all this time I just floated around...

sorry, double submission...had to edit the second one out...

acristickid,

As of now, I do the same. I have a small fly box that has a 'necklace'...it goes around my head. Through the necklace I carry my tippets and then attach a pair of forceps (or whatever one calls the scissor looking clamps). I then carry my weights, floatant, extra box or two, etc. in my pockets or/and the pocket in my waders.

It works well, but I do want to try a chestpack. I think I would carry only 2-3 trays. I would have more trays to keep flies more organized....just not carry them all at once.

JoeE,
I didn't realize the Richardson has easily removeable trays....thanks, I will have to look into the newer ones.

Yep- took me several years and $300 later to come to this realization.

Back