Chest Fly Box History???

T

Tack-L-Tyer

I have recently come across a 4 tray chest fly box similar in all ways to the Fye/Richardson style although the gauge of aluminum is a bit heavier. There are no harnesses, all raw aluminum finish and dimensions seem very close with a few subtle differences. Embossed on the front panel it reads "Matevish Fly Box" "Ebensburg,Pa." I have searched the archives here and came up empty. Anyone know any history or anything about them? All in all, a very well constructed box. Thanks in advance.

You may have already found this. It is from F&S April 1974:

6szdflQ.jpg

Don't know anything about them, but you could probably hook up harnesses for a Richardson or work something out.

It does seem that chest boxes are largely a PA thing. Honestly mine is maybe the best gear purchase I've ever made.

There are lots of variants & copies out there including the Matevish, **** Sadler's boxes, FYE and others I've seen over the years. Most lack the outside hinge.

I think the FYE was first, but I'm not sure.

If I'm not mistaken, FYE and Richardson are essentially one and the same. A guy named Fye was indeed first to make it, and patented it. Then sold his company and patent rights to another guy named Richardson just a few years later.

Back