Chesapeake Bay clean up facing massive funding cut

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Article

The massive Chesapeake Bay cleanup project would receive only $5 million in the next fiscal year, down from its current $73 million.

Massive blow. I don't know how they can ever expect PA to meet the requirements we need make to get this done. I guess that's the point. Very sad and disappointing indeed.
Now is the time to remain ever vigilant. I don't expect people to make up the dollar difference but you can help. Donate time and money if you can. Take the CBF Bay imprint test. Get ways to reduce your own impact on the Bay. Start composting if you can but don't already. Grow some food if you can but don't. Help plant trees in riparian buffers if you can. Do all the little things, they mean even more now than ever.

We can't control what they do but we can control what we do.
Most of all, stay positive.
Good luck everyone.

>>We can't control what they do but we can control what we do.>>

I agree that every individual effort matters even more than usual until such time as we can once again throw the moneychangers out of the temple...

But there is also a lot we can do to at least help "control" what "they" do.

Litigate, complain, involve the media at every turn and make life, at the least, somewhat less comfortable for any of our elected representatives, local/state/federal by never letting them rest on these issues. Be familiar with the law on these matters and insist upon compliance. Do it loudly, incessantly and with occasional mentions of potential litigation.

Lather, rinse, repeat as req'd...

I usually only post helpful comments on here and stay away from the back and forth bs that "occasionally" comes up, but I had to say something here. 11 pages of arguing putting fish on rocks but only one person had a comment on cutting the Chesapeake Bay funding over 90%?!..........

Until PA farmers cut the nitrogen and phosphorus dump into the Bay nothing is really going to help.

What duckfoot eludes to is true, however the CBF (has or maybe now had) a massive riparian buffer project planned for this year in Pennsylvania. The funding cut can only hinder or completely eliminate those efforts.

Susquehanna wrote:
What duckfoot eludes to is true, however the CBF (has or maybe now had) a massive riparian buffer project planned for this year in Pennsylvania. The funding cut can only hinder or completely eliminate those efforts.

Wow, I forgot that was my final project for a chemistry course in college. I talked about buffer projects for nitrogen and phosphorus dumps in the Chesapeake watershed.

Clean up the Susquehanna, and things will get better.

duckfoot wrote:
Susquehanna wrote:

Wow, I forgot that was my final project for a chemistry course in college. I talked about buffer projects for nitrogen and phosphorus dumps in the Chesapeake watershed.

Clean up the Susquehanna, and things will get better.

Potomac too! DC's sanitation problems are appalling.

There are many reports that shows the bay is improving (decreases in Nitrogen, Phosphorus, sediment, decreased dead zone, increase in species numbers). No doubt, cleaning up these rivers is the largest key to cleaning up the bay, but many of these (probably the majority) get funding from the Chesapeake Bay clean up. Over a 95% budget cut is absolutely crippling. Progress that was made will be lost and when someone finally wisens up and tries to correct it it will cost more money to get it back to its present state.

There are many reports that shows the bay is improving (decreases in Nitrogen, Phosphorus, sediment, decreased dead zone, increase in species numbers). No doubt, cleaning up these rivers is the largest key to cleaning up the bay, but many of these (probably the majority) get funding from the Chesapeake Bay clean up. Over a 95% budget cut is absolutely crippling. Progress that was made will be lost and when someone finally wisens up and tries to correct it it will cost more money to get it back to its present state.

These are my thoughts too. I also hate to think about all the millions already spent on this project and how they could just come to waste like everything else.
It seems anymore that politically, socially and domestically our current people cannot finish what they start and it is down right disappointing.

Back