chemicals changing bass across northeast and other tidbits

Are intersex bass capable of reproduction?

icyguides wrote:
Are intersex bass capable of reproduction?

Considering how widespread the intersex condition actually is - it seems obvious that bass are spawning in spite of this.

Intersex conditions exist across the Mid-Atlantic river systems (and the Ohio River and Great lakes as well, although studies suggest it's less prevalent there) and bass continue to spawn, often producing good year classes.

Nevertheless, common sense would suggest that this condition ought to have at least some impact on spawning. The question, I think, is when does this condition start to go over a tipping point? The problem is particularly bad in the lower Susky where the bass crash has occurred and, although fish are still spawning successfully, we all know that a strong year class has been lacking for a decade. . .even as other rivers still produce these strong year classes on a consistent basis. More study is needed on spawning efficacy and intersex prevalence.

It seems to me that, at least at this stage, the main focus will continue to be on identifying rivers with intersex fish. My guess is, this problem is highly widespread.

Eventually (we can hope) protocols for treatment of hormones in effluent and agriculture will be designed to help mitigate the problem

Back