Cheapo Stripping Basket

Fredrick

Fredrick

Found this very reasonably priced basket on Amazon today thought id share .

Stripping Basket

Funny you should post this today as I was just thinking how often I get tangled up in the boat. Oars, coolers and loads of other gear offer the very highest potential to tangle up line.

use a 5 gallon plastic bucket in the boat unless you mean a yak.

I saw that on YouTube. Guy put 1/8" of water in bottom for lube. Is that necessary?

Baron wrote:
I saw that on YouTube. Guy put 1/8" of water in bottom for lube. Is that necessary?

No, I have used the 5 gal bucket on a boat,

no water in the bucket, Wouldn't the water slow down the line?. Waist shooting basket, I wouldn't leave home without it for saltwater wading and on the rocks.

He said that the water keeps the line lined and pliable. I don't know either way.
I can see where a basket would be a pre-requisite on a jetty such as Barnegat.

Baron wrote:
He said that the water keeps the line lined and pliable. I don't know either way.
I can see where a basket would be a pre-requisite on a jetty such as Barnegat.

On a jetty , thats where you want to use a stripping basket. not a 5 gal bucket. Bucket could get washed away. You can make one out of a plastic tub and a web belt.

Rubbermaid dish pan and a bungee strap, some custom placed holes with your multi tool ... good to go.

dc410 wrote:
Rubbermaid dish pan and a bungee strap, some custom placed holes with your multi tool ... good to go.

This works great. It works even better if you drill some holes and make hoops out of .080 weed whacker line. Drill the holes about 3" apart in the bottom of the dish pan and make the hoop about 6 inches tall. Melt the ends of the weed whacker line with a lighter and put a drop of Superglue in each hole after you draw the line tight. The hoops really make a difference to me at least.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

$500 rods, $400reels, $100 line, $50000 F-250, $2 washpan. Where did I go wrong.

Baron wrote:
$500 rods, $400reels, $100 line, $50000 F-250, $2 washpan. Where did I go wrong.

I've used a beater rubber dish pan as a stripping basket for years - did kit it out with heavy mono similar to what Tim describes above. It does help, but doesn't prevent, all line shooting tangles.

I you guys also use Palmolive to avoid dishpan hands Madge would be proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AmIC5MyJY

Young folk wouldn't understand.

Haha, my wife and I were just talking about that commercial. Madge was a manicurist, right?

Madge: "You're soaking in it."

Client: "Dishwashing liquid?!?"

Madge: "No, it's Palmolive!"

It's as if Palmolive could make her clients' hands soft like moisturizer.

Marketing.

Back on track....I did the dishpan and mono DIY thing. It works. I imagine a specialty product like in the OP would be a bit more comfortable. I guess it depends on how much you'd use it.

Now I'm gonna be saying that all day......

For $35 shipped to your door its a no brainer for me . The time to go out and find the materials to make the basket than the time to make the basket is not worth it to try and save $20.

Hey Frederick,

I bought one the other day from Jeff's World, and it arrived today. It is pretty nice and it even fits around my gigantic body with no problems.

My homemade stripping basket fell victim to the snowblower sitting on it since last Winter, as in 2018-2019, so it was kind of smushed anyway.

The only thing I see wrong with it is that you may need to get a drill out and punch a couple of 1/2" or bigger holes in the bottom if you fish heavy water or where waves could break and fill the tub?

Other than that it gets tree tumbs up from me, as day say in Wilkes Barre!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back