cheapo setup (and I mean cheap!)

I have a Scientific Anglers System 2 reel for 4,5 weight attached to a broken St. Croix rod. It has some character to it. About ten or eleven years worth. Simple click pawl drag. Gander Mtn. depending on location still has those clearance guide series rods on discount for $27 for the frontier and $42 for the Plateu. Both were three times that much last year. It is spooled with 4 weight.

why do you think you don;t want a moderate action rod...too fast? ...too slow?

I traded a fast action rod for a moderate one, and couldn't be happier.

Its $40, and if you save the receipt the Cabela's return policy is ironclad.

gfen wrote:
I traded a fast action rod for a moderate one, and couldn't be happier.

Its $40, and if you save the receipt the Cabela's return policy is ironclad.

True, and my $17 in cabelas bucks puts it down at $23. Not sure I should even bother with the cabelas bucks on such a "cheap" item, lol.

I'm sure that everyone has their own opinion and experiences but a guide once told me that a good moderate action fly rod is the perfect setup for someone who's new to the sport. $40 + your $17 bonus tells me this is a great setup for you. For that price the risk is worth it. If you don't like it, sell it or better yet keep it for a backup.

here's a new rod on sale for under $60

http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/prodinfo.asp?number=HHCLS56

support your local guy - he hooked me up with a free hat last time I ordered a blank from him.

Ordered. Fellas...I have my first rod on the way. I COULD have swung it for a complete LST setup like I had been contemplating, but this will serve as a good starter outfit and eventual backup if I get more into it. This summer, I'm just going to be testing the waters (excuse the pun), and this should help me get started.

skiltonian wrote:
here's a new rod on sale for under $60

http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/prodinfo.asp?number=HHCLS56

support your local guy - he hooked me up with a free hat last time I ordered a blank from him.

understood... but it does not include reel line backing leader....23 bucks? are you kidding...no contest....when he becomes addicted he can buy one from a shop because then he'll know exactly what he wants...

Back