cheapo setup (and I mean cheap!)

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Have a buddy of mine who wants to get into fly fishing but doesn't want to spend too much money. His budget is under $50 total. He found a few things online at craigslist, and I remember seeing a setup at Kmart in that price range before. Anyone have any other suggestions, or have an older setup they'd like to sell?

He came fishing with me about a half dozen times last year and finally came to the conclusion that fly fishing is better!

Now I have another person to tie flies for......

$50 is cutting it a little short.

Cabela's has that starter kit for $150:
rod, reel, line, backing, 2 leaders, 24 flies, fly box, chest pack, 2 zingers, nippers, hemostats, leader straightener, floatant, and floatant holder. Not a bad deal for beginners.

the GENESIS! yeah I had my brother in law pick up that kit last year when he wanted to get started. It is a great kit with all the trinkets you need to start up the sport. I wish I could talk him into that, but don't know if his wife will allow him to splurge. He'd buy it in a minute if he was allowed lol.

If it isn't too far off, bring him to the Jamboree and I bet we can get sufficient cheap equipment donated that he can spend his 50 bucks on fly line, leader and flies.

I haven't found out if I can make the Jam or not this year. I'm going to try, but with the wife and the fairly new all commission job, it's hard to get away. I'm trying to pull some strings and if I do I might bring a friend or 2 to join. Thanks!

thanks tom, I sent him that link... I'm sure he'll be all over that!

ry, why not build him a rod if you tie flies you can build a rod, you get alot more bang for your buck that way too and by all means teach him to tie flies after you build the rod together, i got a discontinued sage blank for 25 bucks alot of the shops sell used equipment also

Check-the guides number and spacing-you can double haul with a broomstick [well cheapos] if they have the right number of guides but if they saved by cutting down on guides-you got a dapper at best.

That Cahill set up is the best ultra cheapo combo I have seen...even though the reel is composite, it is a disc drag. The 4 piece rod has an aluminum reel seat and it all comes set up and ready to go...not bad for a measly 40 bucks...

osprey wrote:
ry, why not build him a rod if you tie flies you can build a rod, you get alot more bang for your buck that way too and by all means teach him to tie flies after you build the rod together, i got a discontinued sage blank for 25 bucks alot of the shops sell used equipment also

I'm not ready to build rods yet. Barely have time to tie and fish. And don't have the extra cash to buy the materials to build. One day maybe.

I think for a beginner the cahill is perfect. Wish I would have bought one when I started. Figure out if you like it first, then upgrade your setup.

I can't open Cabela's links from work, so I didn't see the recommendation from Tom. Scrap waiting for the Jam and get him on that Cahill setup before they take it off sale. Bring him to the Jam anyway.

That looks like one heck of a setup, especially at that price! Good find.

That is a good find tom. I might buy one just to have another rod lol

And when he upgrades, he can stick it in his trunk and forget about it. Then the day he smashes the end of his $500 Sage closing the trunk lid, next to his favorite stream, that old rod will look like the best thing he ever bought.

Latest sale at Cabelas, Cahill outfits $39. Hell of a deal!!

yeah-thats what a dozen Cahills would cost at upscale shops
always check the bargain bins at Gander Mt.
nobody beats their clearance sales.$3.65 packs of lures for 19 cents-I got a ten lifetime supply.

pete41 wrote:
yeah-thats what a dozen Cahills would cost at upscale shops
always check the bargain bins at Gander Mt.
nobody beats their clearance sales.$3.65 packs of lures for 19 cents-I got a ten lifetime supply.

yeah I hit the bargain bins a day after they stocked them about 2 months ago. Loaded up on egg yarn, they were from .47 to $2 a pack. Also got some bead chains, post material, tippet, chenille, and a few other things for under $20. Gotta get there quick, cause everything goes within a few days. I just got lucky and stocked up on some cheap materials.

Hmm - i'm wondering if the 8'6" 5wt would be ok for my 6 yr old to learn on - thoughts? Would it be too long and heavy for a 6yr old girl?

Trow,
why not try!

$40 isn't bad as an experiment. When you take the whole family to the movies it's like $40 anyway; at least the rod will be around for awhile.

I would try it (remember I'm on a budget), but I don't think I want a moderate action rod. I suppose at $40, it doesn't matter, but who knows. Is a moderate action really all that bad? I also have $17 worth of cabelas points...lol.

Back