Cheap gear and a fun start....

Volksnurse

Volksnurse

Hiya all...

Yesterday was about my third try at fly fishing (and my first fishing day without kids in a long time..)

We really won't talk about how the fish took pity on me and helped their tiniest friend get the fly in his mouth...

I have to say, if its this much fun on a cheap walmart rod and reel, I can't wait to build up to better equipment..

Thanks for all the beginner tips, info and encouragement...

Keep going- it took me awhile.

Warm water fly fishing can be rewarding too- the fish maybe more forgiving, I know I wish I did more of that type of fly angling when I started out.

Nurse,
Sounds like you're having fun. Keep at it. You'll do fine with Walmart gear, no need to upgrade anytime soon (unless you want to). Acristickid is right: warm water fish are a lot of fun and easier to catch - not to mention more available if you don't live in trout country.

Fun is what it's all about Nurse. Glad to hear that you've been bit by the FF bug.

I too started out with a Walmart rod and reel, which served me well over 3 seasons before upgrading. Great way to start out and ensure that you really are interested. I passed that setup on to a friend who had been interested in fly fishing but was not willing to spend the money on a setup. It's nice to have good gear, but as long as you're having fun and catching a fish here and there, don't worry about it.

That's awesome and welcome to the ranks of the 'afflicted'. I can't think of one person I've taken (besides the ex-wife) that didn't love it from day one. BTW, you can’t measure your enjoyment by the sticker on your gear. As long as your equipment is working, keep fishing it. As you learn more what you like and need, then you can worry about upgrading.

Famous quote by Oscar Wilde:

“A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing”

"BTW, you can’t measure your enjoyment by the sticker on your gear. As long as your equipment is working, keep fishing it. "

Right on. I still fish the same reel that I bought to start fishing Pennsylvania streams four years ago. It was part of a Cabelas combo that set me back about 80 clams, and that included the backing, fly line, and some leaders. I have upgraded to a new rod this year, but am still using the same reel. Most of the paint has worn off of it, and it squeaks quite a but, but that doesn't bother me. It's not like I need a fancy ultra smooth titanium disc drag system either, especially since most of the fish I catch vary from 3 to 12 inches.

Keep at it Volksnurse. You will get plenty of enjoyment out of that Wal Mart setup for a long time to come.

You take me for a ride in the Ghia, I'll take you fishing. :)

Some of those "bubble pack" rods are pretty decent. Hang onto it for a while. After a few years you'll have a good idea of how and where you want to fish...

Or go out and get a $400 rod right away, if you like and you can. It's your hobby.

A sensible and not too expensive upgrade would be a good flyline when yours begins to show wear. Weight forward lines are good to learn casting with. Cortland 444's are good lines that cast well and hold up. Just keep 'em clean.

gfen wrote:
You take me for a ride in the Ghia, I'll take you fishing. :)

We can work somethin out...but I sold the ghia a few years ago to get the 67 beetle....

Whatever, its been 10 years since I got to enjoy the puttering sound of an aircooled engine. I'm not picky. :)

I've been fly-fishing for a little over a year now and I'm still using the cheap wal-mart gear. I have a blast every time I go out. It's not always about how much you spent on the gear. I may upgrade someday but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Gear doesn't make the fisherman.Put in your time and enjoy the sport.As akid said

nothing wrong with the cheap gear...even though my main rods are all either Orvis or TFO's, I still keep a $25 walmart 5-weight in the car in case I break one of the expensive rods and need a filler while it's away being repaired or replaced (unconditional warranties are the only reason I splurge on the expensive gear). And gear doesn't really matter, as long as you have the presentation right, the fish won't care if you're using a $25 walmart special or a $800 Orvis Helios.

a 67 beetle!! that was the best year!
anyways, nothing wrong with cheap gear. expensive rods may cast nicer, expensive reels may have better drags and sound nice, but the fish don't care about that one bit! as mentioned above, a good upgrade would be a better fly line, which if taken care of, will last many years.
great thing about this hobby, spend as much or as little as you like, having fun is what it's all about!!

What's funny about flyfishing is. that I have used "bubble pack" rods and beautifully crafted bamboo rods. It's all fishing. I think it's the day and the company that make the experience.

Thanks for the encouragement all...I'm not getting out as often as I'd like and have limited access to places to fish... But flyfishing is as much fun as I've had in years....

Keep it up, and don't feel like you need to run out and buy a really expensive setup. I agree with the others that encourage warm water fishing. The fish can be much more forgiving, and you will learn better techniques without the risk of spooking a bunch of finicky trout. You can work on presentation, getting a drag free drift, nymphing, etc. on sunfish, creek chubs and smallies, then go after the trout. That's what I did, and I am a better flyfisher for it. And you already know this, but continue to read this board, and contribute to it when you can. The folks here know of what they speak, and they are very open and willing to share information with others that have the same love and passion for the sport.

It turns out (due to where I live) that I end up annoying the Sunnies in the tame c&r ponds in the parks. There's really only two or three trout streams that I can get to on short notice...and I really do enjoy the warm water fishing as much as stream fishing...

The way the weather's been, even the Wissahickon feels like bath water...

If you want to add on to your hobby, upgrade and spend less than you would on a new rod. Put your own together.

That's how I upgraded, now every fish I catch on that rod I see as more of an achievement than a rod that I have not had that kind of time with. Great to hear you're enjoying it.

I started out looking for sunnies on a lake or pond in a kayak. Went from there to trout, now I'm back to pike and bass. Love it. Keep the faith.

Back