Charging trolling motor battery from car?

PhilC

PhilC

Is it ok to charge a deep cell battery from your car?

I was given an old trolling motor a few years ago and last weekend I finally got it hooked up on my pontoon boat. It was quite an exercise getting the right battery, hauling it out to the river, etc but I was psyched when I first clicked it on and started humming around. It was much easier to reposition myself with one hand with the motor versus putting the rod down and using the oars.
I bought the deep cell battery from Cabelas but since spent more then I intended so I didn't buy a charger.
I'm going on a float tomorrow and I would like to top off the battery before I go. The battery isn't dead from my last trip since it was short float and I don't use it all the time since the water is moving.
I'm thinking of hooking it up to my car via jumper cables for an hour or so...
If anyone has any insight on this, I appreciate it. I didn't find too much on google and don't want do screw it up/do something stupid
Thanks,
Phil

its not the best practice but yes you can do it, don`t leave it on for a full hour without starting your car every now and then to put a charge back into your car batt

You can wire your tow wire harness to charge the battery on your trip home. You might need a higher output alternator to handle the extra load. Check with an RV dealer to find out what all you will need. They would probably be better than a parts store since some travel trailers have batteries in them and all motor homes do.

If you go this route, it would be a good to check the charge of the battery when you get home. Then put the battery on a charger to finish the charge if needed.

Here is a wire diagram for trailer hook up.

Attachments

• wiring_6_pole_500.jpg
    wiring_6_pole_500.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3
Dear Phil,

Deep cycle batteries are made to discharge and recharge slowly. Charging one on occasion with a car alternator won't kill it but isn't in the best long term interest of the battery.

You can buy a 2AMP/HR trickle charger for a couple of bucks, like $ 20.00. You can buy a switchable charger from Sears that will do 12/24 VDC batteries and charge automotive batteries or switch over to deep cycle batteries for about $ 50.00 - 60.00. If you don't have a Sears closeby then Schumacher is a good brand to consider.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but you'd be far better off if you spend the money for the right tool for the job.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Thank you all for responses and input.
As it turns out I didn't end up hooking up to my car and the battery still had plenty of juice to get me through the float. I really needed it at the end of the float b/c the water was barely moving.
I floated from sand island in Bethlehem to the Rt 33, I didn't have high expectations but the fishing was awful, only a
couple dunks in about 5 hrs. Luckily I was more into just getting out on the river, exploring new areas, and getting used to the motor rig. I'm really digging the trolling motor and I'm going to get a charger. I'd say I'm pretty much committed now so if the old troller I inherited croaks, I'll have to get a new one.
Thanks again guys,
Phil

try a small solar charger on top while your fishin, it will help.

Back