Changing of the Fly Line

I have some Rio Trout fly line that is about 15 months old. It's been used approximately 100-120 times. I've cleaned and treated this line about 2-3 times in past 15 months. I noticed this weekend, it's cracking about about 40 feet down from the tip. The cracks are deep enough that I easily noticed them when stripping the line with my left hand.

15 months old with above average use. Did I get my money's worth or should I call Rio and complain?

Clean your line in a tub of Ivory liquid soap after each time you fish and it will last for years. I also coat my lines with the Rio fly line conditioner which also helps them cast better and last longer. IMO people who replace lines every year are just wasting money. I think most lines that fail quickly are probably those that don't receive much care.

Ron

Most Fly lines are Dacron core with plastic coating (vinyl) on them If you want to get the most use from a line keep it clean and treat it as per directions. There are many products on the market and some have been mentioned above. Vinyl will break down sooner if not keep out of direct sun and excessive heat. Working in a shop I a recycled many junk lines for my own use. You can run your line through a paper towel every other outing. Also dress every 10 or 20 times out. Sometimes sooner. If your line does not shoot like when it was new or tip does not float clean and treat it. Assuming it is a floating line.

Millsertime wrote:
I have some Rio Trout fly line that is about 15 months old. It's been used approximately 100-120 times. I've cleaned and treated this line about 2-3 times in past 15 months. I noticed this weekend, it's cracking about about 40 feet down from the tip. The cracks are deep enough that I easily noticed them when stripping the line with my left hand.

15 months old with above average use. Did I get my money's worth or should I call Rio and complain?

I think it's par for the Rio course.

I used to like, and recommend, Rio fly line. From my last experience with the Gold, and buddies' experiences with multiple Rio lines, I will not recommend Rio line anymore. Mine was replaced by SA line, if it lasts like my previous SA line it'll be a positive change.

Back