Changing of the Fly Line

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

What is your (or conventional) wisdom as to when it’s time to replace your fly line. I know that casting it a lot (getting out on the stream) wears it out. Standing on them, especially on concrete, does too. How about sitting on a reel in a draw and only being used a handful of times a year?

I know people that fish a lot and they put a new one on every year.

Thanks for your insights.

If it starts cracking and loses its buoyancy(for floating lines), it's probably time to get a new line.

Some lines last longer than others, and of course it depends on how much you fish. If there's no obvious issues and its not hindering your fishing ability, there's no need to change. Could be after only one year, or 5 or more years...

When the cover of the line is missing, time to replace. I'll go look at my 4 weight and let you know. That rod couldn't have seen 4 hours of action over the last 3-4 years.

Edit: just went and looked at the lines. Been sitting for almost 3 years with virtually NO use. Sharkskin...perfect. Rio gold....perfect. I did clean and lightly treat with armor all prior to putting them in the time capsule. LOL. They are probably going to need stretched out to reduce memory but look good as new.

I do the armor all deal too and I don't buy cheap line I like S/A and Rio as well.

I got a question for all of you in this thread though, since you guys are up north and deal with a lot colder weather/water, what brand/model of line are you guys using for heavy streamer fishing?
I know colder water stiffens it up a good bit. I don't have that problem fishing where I do down here, but I am looking for something new.

I tried this Wulff Bermuda Triangle on my buddy's 8 wt last weekend, it shoots awesome and he says it doesn't get too stiff in colder water. I think that is actually a salt line but I am not sure. I never used Wulff lines. I have pro deal pricing for S/A so I tend to take advantage of it and I have been using the Galloup lines. I do need something that will turn a heavy streamer like big fish skull/bunny tandems.

Just looking for ideas from some of you guys who go "stripping" in freezing weather.

I never change my fly line until they start getting cracks in them.

As for longevity, I've averaged about 4 years for a DT fly line - 2 years on 1 side, then reversing it for a another 2 years.

However, I currently have a Ridge WF fly line - that I bought 4-5 years ago now - that hasn't got a single crack in it yet.
It's definitely the longest lasting fly line I've ever used.

Regarding the "sitting ina drawer" scenario, I have a couple lines that I now use a couple times a year that were stored anywhere from 20 to 30 years in the closet (Cortland 444 & SA Mastery something or other). They're fine for fishing but I keep a close eye on them, and all the others, for wear and tear and cracks in the finish. Once the cracks show up, time to replace.

My sharkskin didn't even last a year. But I fish more than the avg.

Go by the condition of the line, not by time passed. Change it when it gets a lot of cracks.

BTW, "The Changing of the Fly Line" sounds like it should be accompanied by some kind of rituals. We'll have to come up with some.

If ifloating line starts sinking, I'll take a look, if I can I'll trim it down a bit and reseal with zap a gap then put a new line- leader connection on it. I have one rod my kid uses. It has cheaper Cortland line on it that has been on it since 2008. She fishes about 6 times a year, but still... 7 years is good.

Still looking for some ideas on cold water heavy streamer line if anyone has any good recommendations.

My experience is that line does not deteriorate with age.

I replace the line when I see a lot of cracks or it doesn't float even after applying conditioner.

I have some good Orvis line ($50 when bought) that is at least 15 yrs old and with moderate use performed great until last spring.

I've also used cheap ($20 when bought) SA and Cortland line that did not deteriorate with age but with use did not last nearly as long as Orvis.

Fanatic,

Look at Rio streamer tip or SA streamer express. I have the old Rio DC and I don't think it's made anymore.

K2,

Yep S/A Streamer Express has worked good for me. I use the Galloup version (I think it is discontinued and he is being pimped by Airflo now). I wasn't sure how well it would work in really cold water. On the RIO, not sure if that's around, a buddy down here told me to try the RIO Redfish but I started a lenghty argument over how well it works in fresh water and really cold water. Line is getting pricey. I have S/A at a serious discount, but I hate doing trial and error, so I'll probably stick with it and buy the newer version.

MD,

Saw your PM. I'll answer you tonight after class.

cheers

Redfish has to be a warm water line and probably end up really stiff in cold water. I know Rio still make the streamer line in 10'-15' lengths with various sink rates. I tried that Galloup line but it was a 50' head. I called SA and asked them "other than fishing in a quarry, what purpose does this line serve?". The guy did laugh and said it was being discontinued. I'd imagine so. It had to sink at 12 ips or more. Stripping streamers from a driftboat and the stripped line got hung up in 8' of water.

Here ya go
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/sink-tip/streamertip/

krayfish2 wrote:
Redfish has to be a warm water line and probably end up really stiff in cold water. I know Rio still make the streamer line in 10'-15' lengths with various sink rates. I tried that Galloup line but it was a 50' head. I called SA and asked them "other than fishing in a quarry, what purpose does this line serve?". The guy did laugh and said it was being discontinued. I'd imagine so. It had to sink at 12 ips or more. Stripping streamers from a driftboat and the stripped line got hung up in 8' of water.

Here ya go
http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/sink-tip/streamertip/

lol, 50' head is correct. it's like casting a brick.

the Rio can turn some really heavy stuff?

Being a dry fly guy mostly, ANY sink tip feels like toss a brick.

Turning really heavy stuff is the casters job. LOL. I've used articulated #2 streamers and really light tube flies. No issues. You're basically false cast back shooting line, forward stroke, haul and let her fly. You can go from 8' of line out to 45'-60' out in a single stroke. The line takes the 3 dead chickens on a hook right along for the ride. Also, it's not typically a subtle presentation. Ye ol ...click, click boom.

lol yeah... it's like that.

My heavy hitter is like casting steel cable and gives a helluva workout.

troutbert wrote:
Go by the condition of the line, not by time passed. Change it when it gets a lot of cracks.

BTW, "The Changing of the Fly Line" sounds like it should be accompanied by some kind of rituals. We'll have to come up with some.

I can almost hear bagpipes playing in the background! Good idea on some kinda ritual. Something like the end of a US flags life.... Good one TB

fanatic - try the old Rio DC 26 or "striper" line - it has a much shorter (26ft) sinking tip.

check, but i think you need a 200gr or 250gr for a 6/7# rod,

i only use Rio lines and i keep em until the loops start cracking - about 5/6 years for saltwater lines, 8-10+ for fresh.

Clean and treat it regularly and it will last longer. I don't replace a line until the it is cracked and won't float anymore. I usually get 2-3 years of normal use out of a floating trout line (not siting in the closet).

The only time I replace a line early is if the line is even close to needing replacement and I am going on destination trip. Its worth the extra $80 to ensure that you don't have line issues after spending the dough for a big trip. It doesn't make sense to spend a couple thousand dollars on a fishing trip and then cheap out on your line.

geebee wrote:
fanatic - try the old Rio DC 26 or "striper" line - it has a much shorter (26ft) sinking tip.

check, but i think you need a 200gr or 250gr for a 6/7# rod,

i only use Rio lines and i keep em until the loops start cracking - about 5/6 years for saltwater lines, 8-10+ for fresh.

geebee,

you know how long the heads are on those lines?

The 50' head on the Galloup S/A line is an issue, not to mention the rare occasion that I fished some really cold water it became pretty stiff.

I think the Wulff Bermuda Triangle stuff I casted on an 8 wt was a 30' head.

And yep, the rod is a 7 weight so I would keep it around 250.

Back