Changes for the Monacacy

Vaughn

Vaughn

Just saw this article come across my social media feed : http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2016/10/see_whats_in_store_for_monocac.html

wow, that's fantastic. All those streams need to be great fisheries is better habitat. They are cold and fertile enough. The Monocacy , in my opinion from my experience, is the least trout-y out of the Saucon, Bushkill, L. Lehigh, Trout Creek and Cedar. It's hatches are not very good, very possibly due to its siltiness, but it's loaded with scuds. So it has the food source, but not the trout holding cover. Some of my most beautiful pictures are of fishing in the old industrial area right at this time of year. It was just 2 blocks from my apt. Living within walking distance of a wild trout stream is not a bad way to go.

syl

Sounds like a good plan. Well executed stream improvement projects can really attract and hold trout in addition to reducing sediment etc.

If someone could get out there and get some before and after pics of the projects, it would be much appreciated.

(This thread will be moved to the Conservation forum shortly - thanks, DW)

Don't tell Glade Squires. He won't believe you can have a great experience fishing for wild trout in an urban environment.

Great to see an effort to further improve this stream. It has a few spots that are small oasises of wilderness in a sea of concrete and truck horns.

Ha, the opening paragraph of the article made me have a similar thought about Squires.

Also, kudos to the City of Bethlehem for being supportive of the project.

Dave_W wrote:
Sounds like a good plan. Well executed stream improvement projects can really attract and hold trout in addition to reducing sediment etc.

If someone could get out there and get some before and after pics of the projects, it would be much appreciated.

(This thread will be moved to the Conservation forum shortly - thanks, DW)

Someone will. ;).

Won't happen till next summer, and to be honest there are still some hurdles with permitting, etc.

franklin wrote:
Don't tell Glade Squires. He won't believe you can have a great experience fishing for wild trout in an urban environment.

Great to see an effort to further improve this stream. It has a few spots that are small oasises of wilderness in a sea of concrete and truck horns.

If anything he seems to be anti-wild trout in urban areas given his comments in the latest Outdoor News column on Saucon Creek. The commissioners tabled a discussion with regard to the current regulations and looking at potentially changing the regs to open up the 2.1 mile stretch in the part to bait fishing.

Given he's from the SE region, and given fact that there aren't many wild trout streams in that region (with consideration to our more northern tiers) you'd think he'd have a different attitude.

PaulR wrote:
franklin wrote:

If anything he seems to be anti-wild trout in urban areas given his comments in the latest Outdoor News column on Saucon Creek. The commissioners tabled a discussion with regard to the current regulations and looking at potentially changing the regs to open up the 2.1 mile stretch in the part to bait fishing.

Given he's from the SE region, and given fact that there aren't many wild trout streams in that region (with consideration to our more northern tiers) you'd think he'd have a different attitude.

He (Glade Squires) has resigned as President / Commissioner.

Glade Squires Resigned

Good news for wild trout and those of us who appreciate them.

franklin wrote:

F that arrogant, cocky, presumptuous ******. I'd like him to fall on a fence post. Let the post hit 'im where the good lord split 'im!
No stream I fished or ever did better on in the Lehigh Valley than Saucon, and all on wild browns. Could be a fantastic stream.

Jagoff!

Back