Change of views

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I have always been a fly fisherman who just likes to catch fish. All be them stockies or wild. I never much cared where the trout were stocked or what they were stocked over as long as I could catch them.

About 2 years ago I fell in love with the sport of grouse and woodcock hunting. These birds are similar to native and wild trout in their need for certain habitat, and things of that nature. Everything about grouse hunting with my lab is appealing to me.

On another outdoor forum the topic came up about stocking pen raised birds over wild bird populations. The thought of these possible disease carrying birds being stocked over wild birds floored me. I did not like the idea of pen raised birds possibly spreading disease to the wild and native birds. There is not much evidence that supports this but the probability is still there.

Where I am going with this was, that it made me realize how important our native and natural resources are. Be it native brook trout, or wild browns, or grouse or wood ****. I find myself thinking that their populations, and habitat should hold more precedence of hunting or fishing opportunities. Ask me the same question 2 years ago, and I would say that stocking trout over wild trout is not that big of a deal. I now see that more emphasis and funding should be put on improving trout habitat and more focus on wild trout, than appeasing anglers with stocked fish. Don't get me wrong I feel there is value in a put and take system, but now do not feel these fish should be stocked in streams with an established wild trout population.

One thing I can not stand is a hypocrite or flip flopping person, but I found my self being just that. How can I care so much about grouse and wood ****, and not about wild trout. I apologize for my ignorance, and lack of care for wild trout in the past, and my focus on myself having a great time and catching fish regardless of if they are out competing wild trout. I now find myself more agreeing with some of TU's views on this matter, that I once put up the blinders on. I am now looking more into TU and what they stand for and have removed my blinders on that organization. I am thankful for those of you who had tried in the past to make me realize the importance of conserving and protecting our wild and native trout. I am going to try and educate those I am associated with that had similar views to mine a few years ago as well.

There's nothing wrong with having evolving views on wild trout, or fly fishing, or whatever. Personally, my own views on trout, stocking, fisheries management and a variety of issues near and dear to those of us who regularly read this forum. . . continue to evolve. Like many anglers, I started out fishing bait for stockies, then moved more into FFing and catch and release. Now I'm actually moving more back to appreciation for spin gear (although I don't fish with gear as often as I should). I'm okay with some stocking over wild trout and don't get the vapors if I hear about a fish - wild or otherwise - getting kept and eaten.
To each his own.

In your case, participation in another sport, bird hunting, has coaxed you to reconsider trout fishing and grow in your views. Kudos. You will continue to grow and evolve with time and experience.

This is essential to a sincere and open minded approach to outdoor sports.

I think you meant to send this to the PAFBC but posted it here instead...

The change of an opinion does mean your a hypocrite. With age and maturity comes better understanding and more life experiences. When I was younger I fell for the pie on income inequality. After working, paying my way, and advancing slightly up in the social ladder I now realize what an idiot I was for thinking that way. It's all good. Living life is an incredible thing and it often involves a change in the way we think. I think it's a little severe to feel like you owe someone an apology or that you feel others need to be educated because you had a change of view.

I have loved bird hunting for years and have trained several setters for the expressed purpose. I have traveled all over the U.S so I could hunt WILD birds. I have hunted 6 different wild Grouse species and woodcock.
Over the past two or three years I have started to change my mind a bit relative to hunting stocked vs. wild birds. I have been able to take young and old to preserves which gives these people tons of opportunities and I can train my dogs.
I agree with Fishidiot and believe as we grow our views and opinions change.

People evolve and, hopefully, progress.

I'm glad to hear you now see wild trout for the valuable resource they are.

Great point. I use to pheasant hunt a lot as a kid and it was easy to tell the difference between a pen raised bird and a wild bird. With the decline of the wild population and increase in farm raised birds, I lost interest. Thanks for the perspective.

Don

I support wild wood ****, too.

Nothing like grouse and woodcock hunting in the fall. Lost all my good spots in PA. I refuse now to hunt stocked birds, it's just not as enjoyable and kicking them in the #censor# to fly over my pointer is definitely not fun. Fortunately they can't farm raise grouse or woodcock. I travel out west and NE to chase wild birds. Don't mind staying home and fly fishing either, but I will also take wild fish anyday even if it means smaller and fewer.

Same here, once I learned how to tell stocked from wild, and was amazed at some of the places wild fish turn up. I understand that to provide trout fishing opportunities requires stocking in some places. But many would be fine without.

I'm under the belief that the PFBC could accomplish more in the long term if conservation and water quality were a top priority.

There's something magical about being on a wild stream and reading the water.

seems there is a movement afloat to turn back the clocks and undo all the good that has been done, and it all comes down to money.
The PFBC wants more money, simple as that, and they just don't seem to care about the sustainability of the resource.
The total number of stream miles that make up the DHALO area's is a very small fraction of the total number of miles of trout water in this state. YET, people still feel the need to f@$k with them.
Really, we NEED more people fishing them?? don't know about where you live, but in my area, the DHALO areas are already VERY well used, bordering on crowded at times, trust me, we don't NEED more fishermen on them. And then the idea to increase harvest?? quite a few of these streams in my part of the state have very good holdover populations, and offer great fishing well into fall and beyond.
So instead of teaching conservation, sustainability, and such, the PFCB turns back the clock and we're right back in the 50's again.
might as well increase the legal limit to a dozen or more, nothing will sell more licenses than pics of huge stringers of fish.
oh wait, they are cutting back on stocking also, so hmm, how is this all gonna work?
don't even get me started on the stocking of wild trout streams.

Mike, no need to Apologize. IT's an evolution for all of us. I see plenty of grouse around the cabin I belong too, there are no quails, or pheasants thankfully, because if there were they'd have to have been stocked. It's not their habitat anyway so it would be pointless.
I for one believe that it wasn't just farming practices that wiped out pheasants, draw your own conclusions. The wild birds were gone in the blink of an eye.
As for quails, they disappeared over their entire range much to the dismay of hunters and birders. We had one near the house all summer, calling most of that time. I don't know if it's still here or not. A good thaw would tell. I'm sorry to say the quail are probably gone for good, unless something miraculous happens to promote their recovery. I've never hunted birds, but have always enjoyed viewing them.

I have 5 quail in my back yard. I was going to use them for training purposes for my lab, but after seeing how quick a sickness can spread from bird to bird, I opted for just keeping them as pets for my son. Going to see if they will lay eggs in the spring. I may get an incubator and try to raise some of my own. Pretty cool.

Any more I find my self swaying on the side of providing better habitat for wildlife, and letting them grow and prosperon their own.

Grouse hunting is my true passion and has overtaken fly fishing as my number 1. I think I may have to submit a similar comment to the PAFBC as well.

bikerfish wrote:

The total number of stream miles that make up the DHALO area's is a very small fraction of the total number of miles of trout water in this state. YET, people still feel the need to f@$k with them.
Really, we NEED more people fishing them??

Yes we do, and that goes for all the special regs areas. Because the more people fishing there, the less there will be where I usually fish.;-)

Chaz wrote:

I for one believe that it wasn't just farming practices that wiped out pheasants, draw your own conclusions. The wild birds were gone in the blink of an eye.
As for quails, they disappeared over their entire range much to the dismay of hunters and birders.

You are likely correct that farming practices was not the only reason of their demise, but IMHO it is a major part of it. When I was a teen, the places I used to hunt had lots of fence rows. They would team with wildlife including pheasant rabbit, and the occasional grouse and/or quail covey. Many of those fence rows are now gone. Removed because they interfered with more efficient farming.

My farm is surrounded by fence rows. The guy who used to lease the fields suggested one time that he could remove those fence rows for me as if he was doing me a favor. I told him those fence rows are just fine the way they are.

Back