Champion, PA?

F

flyer037

Greetings all!
I'm heading back to PA (grad school in Texas) for my little sister's wedding at the start of Nov. She is getting married in Champion, PA near Severn Springs. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to lend me some advice on locations near there that I could get a bit of a trout fix between planned events for the wedding.

I am not particular about the type of trout or the size, I like 'em all! I'm planning on bringing a little 3 wt and prefer to throw dries, and I am not scared of fishing pocket water on creeks!

I will have time to fish Friday midday, Sat morning, and Sunday midday, hopefully for a few hours (3-4) each time.

Any advice you all could give would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Just as happy catching this guy on a dry
70575346_10156686032516747_2669720236327960576_o.jpg

as this guy on a streamer...
70587488_10156704213971747_1165500046477623296_n.jpg

You're already right on Indian creek, which parallels rt 381. It is stocked from that point upstream about 6 miles or so with a DHALO section at the top. Laurel Hill creek would also be a good bet at the DHALO section near the boy scout camp. It is heavily stocked with rainbows in the fall. Indian used to be stocked in the fall, but I don't believe it receives a fall stocking any longer.

Awesome! Any tips on access? Bridges? Parks? etc?

I would focus in on Laurel Hill Creek. The closest delayed harvest section is in Laurel Hill State Park. You can google directions to the park from where you are staying. The bridge in the park (before the lake) is the lower boundary of delayed harvest section. There is some paved parking before the bridge. Walk upstream and you will find some decent water.

You can go to the Pa trout stocking website and search for Somerset County. You can then see when the fall stocking schedule. Hopefully the link works. Click on the beg/end to get google maps. Switch to satellite view to see the area.

Standard egg patterns, nymphs,buggers will work. Very scenic area. Good luck.

https://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/TroutStockingDetails_GIS.aspx

I don't know the exact dates that you will be here in the beautiful Indian Creek Valley but we welcome you. Laurel hill creek was scheduled to receive a stocking on the 10/29 so there should be plenty of fish there, also Indian Creek is one of my favorites and we got some much needed rain recently so the streams in good condition. I will try to PM you with the location of one of my favorite spots.

Back