Chambersburg Rod and Gun club stocking fish with snails in the falling spring

Mikey2006

Mikey2006

The chambersburg rod and gun club has the hatchery on the falling springs, the co-op nursery where the invasive snails were found. Today I saw their stocking truck at the lower limit of the delayed harvest section. I have heard rumors from three different people that they were gonna dump all their fish there for a kids derby or something, I guess this confirms it. So yeah anyway I guess they think it’s a great idea to dump hundreds of fish that have the snails into a famous creek that already has enough issues

The chambersburg rod and gun club has the hatchery on the falling springs, the co-op nursery where the invasive snails were found. Today I saw their stocking truck at the lower limit of the delayed harvest section. I have heard rumors from three different people that they were gonna dump all their fish there for a kids derby or something, I guess this confirms it. So yeah anyway I guess they think it’s a great idea to dump hundreds of fish that have the snails into a famous creek that already has enough issues
I think the stream already has snails........

I think the stream already has snails........
Correct. Stream already identified as having mud snails, before the stocking.

My interpretation of fish commission's approach to this is send the fish from the affected hatcheries only to the affected streams. I assume the same follows for co-op hatcheries, and this stocking would fit that practice.

And it's most likely the hatchery got "infected" from the stream, not the other way around.

Yes, the hatchery water comes from the stream.

I think Mikey2006 had a valid concern with the conococheauge thought because to my knowledge that stream doesn’t have mud snails(could be wrong though just have not heard it does) and I know they stock there. Mikey do you know if they are going to stock the “Jig” with those fish?

I think Mikey2006 had a valid concern with the conococheauge thought because to my knowledge that stream doesn’t have mud snails(could be wrong though just have not heard it does) and I know they stock there. Mikey do you know if they are going to stock the “Jig” with those fish?
Where did the concern for that stream come from? You're the first person to mention it? What am I missing around the forum these days?

I mean seriously, things are getting confusing because no one mentioned anything about mud snails, the Conococheauge, or that particular Creek being stocked by the club.....

Where did the concern for that stream come from? You're the first person to mention it? What am I missing around the forum these days?

I mean seriously, things are getting confusing because no one mentioned anything about mud snails, the Conococheauge, or that particular Creek being stocked by the club.....
Oh I think Mikey had mentioned that in another Thread, possibly the original when the concerns first came out about FS coop, that that rod and gun with snails stocks the Jig.

Oh I think Mikey had mentioned that in another Thread, possibly the original when the concerns first came out about FS coop, that that rod and gun with snails stocks the Jig.
Probably in the other thread with the doubts about wild brownies......I'll go back and find it. Thanks Fish Sticks

Quick question....
If mud snail is found in the upper reaches of ABC stream / watershed and they spread "X" mile (s) per year, what is to stop them from reaching Conococheauge, Conodoguinet, Susky or any other river / stream?

I'm not aware of any means of stopping them.

Quick question....
If mud snail is found in the upper reaches of ABC stream / watershed and they spread "X" mile (s) per year, what is to stop them from reaching Conococheauge, Conodoguinet, Susky or any other river / stream?

I'm not aware of any means of stopping them.
I have a dismal outlook on human stopping invasive species. I am not saying we shouldn't try, but some of the measures we have taken or encourage people to take are almost laughable.

It will be a sit back and see how things change type situation if I had to guess.

NZMS are found on a wide variety of substrates and vegetation in fresh and brackish lakes, rivers, streams, and estuaries. They are tolerant of turbidity, siltation, and poor water quality, can reproduce in salinities up to 15 ppt, and can survive for short periods of time in salinities up to 35 ppt. Mudsnails can survive in water temperatures up to 93 °F, but do not to tolerate freezing temperatures. NZMS can also survive short periods of desiccation if in a cool, damp environment.

Good luck

NZMS are found on a wide variety of substrates and vegetation in fresh and brackish lakes, rivers, streams, and estuaries. They are tolerant of turbidity, siltation, and poor water quality, can reproduce in salinities up to 15 ppt, and can survive for short periods of time in salinities up to 35 ppt. Mudsnails can survive in water temperatures up to 93 °F, but do not to tolerate freezing temperatures. NZMS can also survive short periods of desiccation if in a cool, damp environment.

Good luck

Based on this.....is it fair to say they will spread as far as conditions allow them to. Might be a die off after an exceptionally cold or hot period but they will be right back

Based on this.....is it fair to say they will spread as far as conditions allow them to. Might be a die off after an exceptionally cold or hot period but they will be right back
I'm not an expert on these critters but yes, I think it is fair to say that based on what I've read.

So ,all of the 22,000 fish Chambersburg Rod and Gun Club raises will be put in FSB?

Correct. Stream already identified as having mud snails, before the stocking.

My interpretation of fish commission's approach to this is send the fish from the affected hatcheries only to the affected streams. I assume the same follows for co-op hatcheries, and this stocking would fit that practice.

And it's most likely the hatchery got "infected" from the stream, not the other way around.
This isn’t the case for the PFBC hatcheries.

I just saw today that Benner Spring has picked up some stockings in Potter County this year.

So ,all of the 22,000 fish Chambersburg Rod and Gun Club raises will be put in FSB?
Yeah, there's several issues there. IF they are putting them all in FSB, is that really necessary? If they're not, where are they going?

They say their trout are going here.
Screenshot 20230406 185512

I was at the falling springs today and I heard from another fisherman that they dumped 6 buckets right below the delayed harvest and a few further down. But fish obviously move, so id assume there's going to be plenty of fish right where the two creeks meet. There is a sizeable waterfall that the fish would have to be stupid enough to swim down to get to the jig, but sometimes they dump fish in the pocket water below the falls. I wasn't there for the stocking so i don't know but i'd assume that even if they don't stock the conococheague this year, at least a couple fish will end up down there.

Man, if they'd stock trout stuffed with crab meat. Then you'd have something.

Back