Chain pickerel

Hi all, I have seen on the news that they are working on draining Colyer lake to fix the breast. I don't know how far down they will drain it or what the fishing conditions may be like but I am planing on taking a drive down there today and possibly wetting a line or 2 to see what I can catch. I will take a couple of pics and see if I can post them here to give everyone a chance to see what it looks like.
Sam

Here are the promised pics.

Attachments

• 100_0433.jpg
    100_0433.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_0434.jpg
    100_0434.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 5
I haven't fished there in years and was planning on stopping back on my way home from the little j in a few weekends. Was it fishable, Cricket? I saw the PFBC post that said they'll let you keep fishing until it gets dangerously low... in the interim the fishing might be really interesting.

Yes I would say that it is still fishable as I saw people on the water in a boat. Unless you intend to fish at the inlet I would suggest parking on the breast side. My pics were taken from what I would call the far side of the lake. This is the side where the signs lead you to. It would be a fair walk from the parking lot to the water. I didn't drive around to the other side as I had someplace else to be.
I don't know what they would call dangerous about fishing there unless the bottom was too muddy or too soft to walk on.
I just wonder where all the fish go when they drain down a dam like that? Do they stay in what little water is left, do they head up and down stream? I would think that if they stay, that would really create a target rich environment for any fishing.
Sam

Cricket wrote:

I don't know what they would call dangerous about fishing there unless the bottom was too muddy or too soft to walk on.

Sam

That's what my brother told me - in order to get out to where the water if deep enough to fish, you have to walk through the soft sediment, and he sunk in too much and felt it was dangerous to walk on. It's too bad - those pickerel LOVED to prowl the shallows looking for bluegills!

Back