Ceramic Bobbin Inserts

DO_inthewoods

Hello all! I had this nice ceramic lined bobbin from Dr. Slick since Christmas. I didn't have problems until I started tying streamers this summer and have been having to put pressure on hair. I've noticed several different threads breaking much more easily, often with minimal pressure. I did a side by side with an old metal bobbin and the same pool of thread. After laying down a base of touching wraps, the ceramic bobbin obviously breaks easier than the metal bobbin.

The only thing I can think of is my metal bobbin threader has nicked the ceramic. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am going to pick of a new ceramic bobbin and use a floss threader.

tl;dr ceramic bobbin plus metal threader = bad?

I've had the same issue with several cheaper bobbins using plastic tips. Have you tried a very thin coating of UV?

Hello all! I had this nice ceramic lined bobbin from Dr. Slick since Christmas. I didn't have problems until I started tying streamers this summer and have been having to put pressure on hair. I've noticed several different threads breaking much more easily, often with minimal pressure. I did a side by side with an old metal bobbin and the same pool of thread. After laying down a base of touching wraps, the ceramic bobbin obviously breaks easier than the metal bobbin.

The only thing I can think of is my metal bobbin threader has nicked the ceramic. Has anyone else had this problem?

I only use ceramic bobbins with GSP thread and the bobbins I use are Rite bobbins that I was turned on to by the late Chris Helm. They are considerably pricier than the Dr. Slick and WAY different than the regular metal tubed Materelli bobbins I use for everything else, but I really like them.

BTW - The Cermag model is great for streamers and hair.

In regards to a cause, it may have cracked from extreme thread pressure or if it was inadvertently dropped. I doubt a metal bobbin threader is to blame because the ceramic should be harder however I'd still switch to floss threaders.

FWIW - I used a metal threader on plain my metal tube bobbins forever until I switched to floss threaders and never had issues with thread breaking. Although, it probably helps that I have a bunch of bobbins with spools of thread already loaded so it is rare I'm fussing with threading a bobbin.

Another thought, call Dr. Slick...

I once called them after a pair of hemostats I bought literally snapped in half when I tried to lock them closed. They were more than happy to replace them for me at no cost...

Good luck!!

Probably not directly on topic, but the more I tie the more I appreciate the value of good quality tying tools and materials. During Covid, I made several spur of the moment purchases which appeared to be real bargains. However, because they were poorly made received little or no use and actually cost more in the long run. Example Perfect Hatch 8/0 thread assortment. Now I only use SemperFly, Uni or Danville. Similar with several Amazon hooks.

tiemco ceramic heavy duty

1720726026117.png

In my experience, Dr. Slick stands behind their products. It sounds to me like your bobbin is defective.

If you go to Dr, Slick’s website you’ll see a form to use to contact them. I think your bobbin should be covered under warranty. If you explain that your bobbin is cutting your thread easily, more so than with your metal bobbin, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d send you a replacement bobbin. Under normal use, a metal threader shouldn’t have effected it.

Several years ago, when I was spending summers in Montana, I tied flies in a room that had a concrete floor. Dumb me dropped a couple of my Dr Slick tungsten tying scissors on the concrete which broke off small pieces on the tips on the scissors.

I talked to the owner of Dr. Slick (can’t remember his name now) and he told me to bring my scissors in to their place in Belgrade and he’d look at them. So a short time later when I was in Belgrade, I stopped in to see him. He had said he might be able to sharpen the scissors with a file, but once he saw them he threw them in the garbage and handed me 2 brand new scissors. Mind you, those scissors weren’t defective, it was my carelessness that caused them to break.

Reactions: Kms
@mt_flyfisher @Bamboozle
Thanks for that advice! I will definitely reach out to Dr. Slick and see what they say, they definitely seem a like a great company. I will also plan on switching over to a floss threader to be safe in the future. Guess I just need to build up by bobbin collection too!

I had a Dr Slick bobbin with the pinkish colored ceramic insert and it would cut thread. I noticed it had a square block of material attached to the exit end. I’m assuming it was “flashing” that should have been ground off. Called or emailed (can’t remember?) and the owner handled my problem. Shipped new one to me & I received in less than a week. I’ve really liked their bobbins & other tools. Standing behind a product in this modern day is a rarity. I’ve not had a good experience with some other fly fishing companies.

Got a picture?

Back