Center Pin Rods and Reels

I admit, I'd like to see it in action. I don't think its a style of fishing that I'd find much fun, but from what everyone says its highly effective.

I think someone (tilt?) nailed it when he said people are just jealous they don't get 100' drifts with a fly rod.

I've never seen anyone with this set-up while out fishing.. although it looks fun, I'll admit. Don't understand why its getting such a bad rap... sounds like it the person fishing not the outfit they fish with kinda deal...

just busting chops... but there is nothing worse than getting to a gl trib and watching a pinner drift bait where I want to fish.

NCPAtrtbum wrote:
I've never seen anyone with this set-up while out fishing.. although it looks fun, I'll admit. Don't understand why its getting such a bad rap... sounds like it the person fishing not the outfit they fish with kinda deal...

I once witnessed someone pinning Monocacy Creek, all of 25' wide and maybe 2' deep. It was ridiculous, but whatever, I guess. Opening day brings out all sorts of oddness.

I think the biggest issue, and the reason I've heard them cursed before, is a pinner can park himself at the beginning of a prime pool then procede to effortlessly drift down through the whole thing causing a general gnashing of teeth in the other fishers lining said pool.

And as noted, if those guys could do it, they would too.

On pin reels: I'm still confused, drag or no drag? Obviously not while you're drifting, but when you hook up, do you have like a drag you can flip on?

just cast across and snag his line. do that a few times and he will get the message. YA CAN'T GET THE WHOLE POOL IF OTHERS ARE FISHING IT ALSO!!!
oh yeah, reel in his line and cut his bait off. caution, this action may lead to things mentioned in the firearms thread! :-o

honestly, I would have words with the jerk if he contined to drift past where I was fishing. I give people their space and demand the same from others. I don't care what type of equipment they are using.

no drag... they fish for steelhead with 4lb test and kings with 8lb test. takes a looong time to land fish. never witnesses a pinner on a non gl trib trout stream, that is perverted.

most reels you only have a clicker, a clicker is no way near a drag so you constantly need to apply pressure, it's all about feeling the fish, even more fun when it's a large chromer ripping line out.

As for pinners butting in on you or running their hero drifts, if the room is there sure, go for it. I've experienced the same when i've had people walk in 10 yards or less and start casting their fly rod which gives me 3 choices. A.) run a very very short drift B) High sticking my line and run it for a good 20ft in front of him c.) moving

I made sure to high stick him for a little bit and ended up walking away muttering some words... is what it is.

Tiltaxp wrote:
most reels you only have a clicker, a clicker is no way near a drag so you constantly need to apply pressure, it's all about feeling the fish, even more fun when it's a large chromer ripping line out.

pro-clickers.

Is the clicker then engagable, so that it will truly freespin when not engaged at all?

The clicker can be engaged but all it will do is wear it down over time and weaken it, all it is there to do is stop the freespool enough while moving from spot to spot...

Well, hell, so you play the fish off a 100% freespooling reel the whole time?

I'm sold on 'pinning on that reason alone.

Stating that pining is "just for tribs" is silly. Pins come in all lengths and fishing damn near any stream with a pin make sense. Take Tilt to Spring Creek with pin and let him nymph it up and see what happens.
Pinning is not all about floats and beads. Nymphs could be presented beautifully.

nothing worse than some idiot bashing pinners who is making ridiculously large arc swings...

rowjimmy gets best post of the summer.... Must have ran out of benzos.

I don't care what type of fishing a person does, bait, spin, fly, pin, what ever. just be courteous and give everyone their space. it is damn rude for someone pinning to drift past others fishing downstream, just as it's damn rude for flyfishers to cast too close to bait or spin guys.
it's all about being considerate of others while your out there. if you want to pin, find a stretch of stream where you have room to do it and not **** anyone off. I don't walk up next to other fisherman and start swinging line in the air hoping they will leave, I simply find a place that gives me plenty of space to do what I need to do.
honestly, I hate seeing even one other guy on a stream, I usually fish to get away from people, not be part of a crowd.
as for pinning, I wouldn't mind trying it sometime, looks to be very effective for certain fish/situations.

bikerfish wrote:
I don't care what type of fishing a person does, bait, spin, fly, pin, what ever. just be courteous and give everyone their space. it is damn rude for someone pinning to drift past others fishing downstream, just as it's damn rude for flyfishers to cast too close to bait or spin guys.
it's all about being considerate of others while your out there. if you want to pin, find a stretch of stream where you have room to do it and not **** anyone off. I don't walk up next to other fisherman and start swinging line in the air hoping they will leave, I simply find a place that gives me plenty of space to do what I need to do.
honestly, I hate seeing even one other guy on a stream, I usually fish to get away from people, not be part of a crowd.
as for pinning, I wouldn't mind trying it sometime, looks to be very effective for certain fish/situations.

Well said and right on!

I have a small pin (8 footer/ 4inch cp) That I put together for fishing stockies in the early spring. It is a blast. Drag free drifts and no clicker!

I have however seen dudes get hero drifts with baitcasters too. They can be quite deadly and just bought a nice ambassador for the NY tribs this fall.

i fished w. flies under the pin before I ever picked up a fly rod.. they actually predate fly rods and reels believe it or not.

I actually take up less space with a pin then I do with a fly rod, but unlike most, even for steel, I pin with a 9 ft rod (it keeps plenty of line off the water as I don't drift much farther than I would swing a fly)

wallis cast a quarter up, retrieve line as it comes towards you to keep all line off water, small trott, a few yards downstream. I have outfished my friends with pt's, a 2g float, and a small taper of shot.

If all a pinner does is make hero drifts, they aren't using it right imo.

Agree 100% if there are 3 or 4 of us we can stand and fish a section effectively that only 2 flyfisherman can due to casting restrictions

Tilt, how many pin set ups do you own?

Currently 5 but numbers 6 and 7 will be here by fall! One of them is a really small trib/local trout setup but have only had it out once so far, been using the fly rod a little more this past year

Back