Center Pin Rods and Reels

S

steve98

What are these???

Steve98

Tools used by crappy fisherman to feed there egos so the can be proud how many fish they catch. Pinners are 5 steps below bait guys.

wooohooo for being 5 steps below a bait guy! I use bait at times while pinning too does that make it even worse!?!? Oh and hero drifting is also one of my favorite past times...

It's an incredibly effective way to present x with a beautifully epic 100 yard drift. It is about as perfect of an x presentation as you are gonna get.

steve98 wrote:
What are these???

Steve98

I had a nice reply to answer this and then my brower shut down. Summarized version below:

A center pin is a free spooling float reel, gernerally with no drag system.

The rods vary in length just like fly rods, usually the rod is similiar to a noodle rod but flyrod blanks will work great as well. (my favorite is a 13.5' beulah)

Center pinning is very effective and a lot of fun. Why we are "below' bait fishermen is because some people put themselves on a pedastool with their "cheeky" rich boy style to fly fishing that makes them feel that they are better. Best part is I see them up in ny and erie with a half pound of lead, running line and snagging the crap outta everything, but their simms shirt reads "coolness". But then again that my just be my perspective, I fish with everything to give myself the most enjoyable day out there possible, If you ever want to see what it is all about shoot me a PM, I have a couple reels and rods, it's fun after all it is fishing as well

well said, any other haters out there?

Never understood the HATE! by some FFers for pinners. One thing may be the haters have had a bad experience with a pinner making a 100' float in front of them. I believe there may be some jealousy since pinners usually catch a bunch of fish.

They use a rod and reel, and flies (most of the time) just like FFing and casting those dang pin rods/reels takes quite a bit of skill. No need to hate on pinners. My 2.

pinners are generally canadian and gutless!!

Centerpins are for guys that can't fly fish very well. It's kind of like cheating. Does it work? Heck ya. If you drift your float 300' down past me, will I try to snag your line? Heck ya again. It should only be legal in Canada. Good day sirs.

krayfish wrote:
Centerpins are for guys that can't fly fish very well. It's kind of like cheating. Does it work? Heck ya. If you drift your float 300' down past me, will I try to snag your line? Heck ya again. It should only be legal in Canada. Good day sirs.

I thought spin fishing was for guys who couldn't fly fish real well ?

my float wouldn't need to go 300' past you to catch a fish... probably just right in front of you...

I've met just as many douchebags that sling bait, fly fish, spey fish, etc. a d-bag is a d-bag no matter what gear he uses. I use a little of everything, have a good time, and I'm a d-bag the same with all of them.

Pinners go home, you're on a fly fishing board. And no, I don't think center pinning is fly fishing.

tennjed wrote:
Pinners go home, you're on a fly fishing board. And no, I don't think center pinning is fly fishing.

Is nymphing fly fishing?

In my opinion, there is very little difference, as far as method, between center pinning and fly fishing for something like Steelhead. You have a ton of weight in both scenarios, the weight casts the fly, you drift your presentation under a float, you do all you can to maximize your drift, and both lines float.

If you could get 100' drag free drifts with a fly line you know you would....

While I agree that there is similarities between CP and nymphing. You aren't catching the weight in FF, you are casting your line; which then transfers it's energy to the flies and weight.

tennjed wrote:

I would love to, boss says i have to work until 7 tonight and after that I'm looking at a couple houses. But I promise I will go home after that. Is this a fly fishing board or a crying room? I'm for talking fly fishing on here and having a good time but at the same time if someone has an honest question about another method that I know something about I'll answer it as well.

You are casting the weight if you have 2 bbs on there and chuckand duck. The shot/whatever outweighs whatever line you have past the tip.

I agree with the sentiment that there are azz out there no matter how you fish. Labels are annoying me more and more. Just creates unnecessary division and angst, should be uniting for clean water etc...

I saw a bumper sticker in Girard that said "Erie "heart" centerpinners"

Love it!

to teh original poster:

If you would like to meet a centerpinner, they usually hang out at bathrooms at rest areas or public parks. They can also be found hanging out around middle schools, but they really aren't supposed to be there. The hardest thing about pinning?? Telling your parents you're gay!!

moon1284 wrote:
to teh original poster:

If you would like to meet a centerpinner, they usually hang out at bathrooms at rest areas or public parks. They can also be found hanging out around middle schools, but they really aren't supposed to be there. The hardest thing about pinning?? Telling your parents you're gay!!

really? very mature and well played i applaud your efforts.

Now if you pull your head out of your *** maybe you can make a useful contribution to the thread or the board.

Giggle!

Back