Cedar Creek Allentown

FlyGuy9

FlyGuy9

Took the 45 minutes to the LL yesterday, to find it stained pretty bad. Still tossed a streamer around for a little bit. I carry the book “Keystone Fly Fishing” in my car and looked through it when i went back to the car. I read about Cedar Creek, only a few minutes from the LL. I took the ride over and figured I would give it a shot. I covered a good section of the Class A water with a tandem nymph/midge rig. No fish caught, but I did see a few. Seems like a pretty tough stream, it was crystal clear.

When I got home, I checked out Cedar Creek on the internet. I read about how above the Class A section, someone named “Mr. Allen” was stocking rainbows and growing them very big. Apparently there was a lot of controversy and people were fishing them out, in order to protect the wild browns. This all seemed to occur in about 2010 before I was into fly fishing. I find this interesting and want to know what ended up happening. Did the rainbows all get fished out? Or is this still going On?
Thanks

are you referring to the section of cedar between the lake and LL or above the lake ? thx

From what I read on old threads, the bows were being stocked above somewhere beteeen cedar crest blvd and haines mill rd. This is upstream from the lake.

From what I read on old threads, the bows were being stocked above somewhere beteeen cedar crest blvd and haines mill rd. This is upstream from the lake.

This is correct, I've been in there and have seen them (12-15 of them) about 4 years ago. They looked like overstuffed pigs and certainly did not look they belonged in that size of stream. Several of the 'locals' had huge long pole nets trying to scope them out. Lets just say they were not fishing or interested in fishing.

What a circus...

There is a tiny canal in Dorney park that has huge rainbows in it. Cedar runs through or around the park before it becomes class A. I'd like to check out cedar at some point

Most of those rainbows are gone,I don't think the person that started stocking them years ago is still doing that.He not only stocked them but was feeding them pellets so they got very large.Once they were discovered the word got out and they were fished out.Now Cedar creek is primarily a brown trout fishery.

yup, they have all been fished out

Back