CDC/POLY WING

salmo

salmo

I’ve been looking at some videos about caddis tying. I see that some tiers will use a combination of CDC or poly and deer/elk wing. I understand the additional float factor, but it also add time, weight and wind resistance. Does it really make a difference to the trout?

It looks more interesting but not enough for me to use anything but elk hair...

IMHO the simplicity of just elk hair versus the potential for soaking or wicking of water from adding other wing materials negates any perceived additional attractiveness to trout which of course is always suspect...

Okay. Tell me that from under the water the profile is any different and I move over to your column.

The CDC underwing is probably used to simulate movement.

Just my personal opinion, I see it through the lens of ESP/Iris caddis vs. traditional EHC. Bubble vs. None. I don't see the need for anything else.

Minimal.

Negligible.

Negligible.

Most of my EHC style flies have CDC underwings on them instead of a palmered hackle. I feel the CDC version fish better than the classics style EHC's.
Water + CDC is a dead ringer for the diaphanous wings of emerging insects. You’re not getting that effect with hackle no matter how hard you try.

Back