Cdc caddis

C

country52

How long do you guys have your cdc on your cdc caddis patterns? I'm seeing pics of them where the cdc is almost 1 1/2 hook lengths. This seems like it would be too long to me, but you guys are a lot more experienced with tying than I am...

I don't tie CDC caddis, but to the question of wing length go over to Troutnut ( http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/726 ) and look a some pictures of the naturals. The wings on caddis are quite a bit longer than the body. 1.5 hook lengths total wing length seems just about right.
Mike.

Although this varies, most natural caddis that I observe have bodies 2/3 the length of the wings. So it would seem correct to me to have the wings 1.5 times the length of the body.

Nice article! Thanks for sharing. After reading that, 1 1/2 hook lengths seems to be spot on.

I usually palmer the CDC forward like hackle on the hook shank, about 1.5x hook length (I like it buggy), then add a ELk wing above it. I found some nice olive colored grizzly CDC from Umpqua which works well.

I tie all my caddis with a CDC body and a deer hair wing, a variation of the CDC and Elk. I learned a couple of lessons when trying to tie some Little Black Caddis. The pattern book told me it was a size 16, so I tied them on standard size 16 dry fly hook and tied them in the proportions, wing about 1.5 times the body length. They didn't work. I laid my fly down on a rock that had a couple of little black caddis and they were a lot smaller than my fly. I caught a couple and measured them when I got home. An the from head to the tip of the wing it was 7 mm long, about the shank length on a standard size 16 dry fly hook. The body was about 3 mm long. Next batch I tied was on a size 20 shrimp/caddis pupae hook, and it ended up being the only caddis pattern where I use a CDC body and a CDC wing.

Attachments

• Little Black Caddis.jpg
    Little Black Caddis.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 3
Maybe try www.cdcflies.com

My web site for CDC fly patterns. Caddis and Mayflies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 3
Back